AirPort Express: The Right Router?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Twilight Elk, Oct 29, 2008.

1. Twilight Elk macrumors regular

Twilight Elk

Hey. I haven't posted on MacRumors in a while, but I have a question about the AirPort Express.

I live in a two-story home (nothing too fancy) and am planning on getting a MacBook soon. I think an AirPort Express is a good device for Wi-Fi for my needs. I also own a Nintendo DS and a Wii and sometimes use those to play online. Is this device right for me?

It seems like the AirPort Extreme and Time Capsule are a bit overkill for my situation.

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Sounds good to me, if you're basically just looking to generate a wireless signal for your house. I've used the AirPort Express for years to do exactly this.

The only issue I have is that the signal is a bit weak in the far reaches of my (not large) house and I have trouble maintaining a solid connection with my PowerBook. Placement of the AirPort Express helps significantly, and I think newer models (mine is an original one) have better range now they're running 802.11n.

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I have an older g model and reception is fantastic in my townhouse. It's up in the loft which is 3 levels up. Works fine even in my garage. FWIW.

4. mckyvlle macrumors 6502a

I have the newer AirPort Express with Wifi-N. Just to note, if you have thick walls, 2.4GHz will give better signal penetration than 5GHz.