Airport Express - Time restrictions using MAC address

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by danatdelta, Aug 17, 2010.

1. danatdelta macrumors newbie

Are there any restrictions to the number of MAC addresses that you can restrict ?

Thanks

Danny

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

timed access is a white list, not a black list, meaning it's a list of macs that have access instead of those that are blocked.

so you only put the ones you want to have access. it also has an "everyone else" option

3. skorpien macrumors 68020

waw74, it can be used both ways actually. AirPort Extreme has a default which is by default set to allow, meaning if you add other MAC addresses, you have the option of denying them access. In fact, when I first set my MAC filtering, I had to change the default to deny, then begin whitelisting my MAC addresses.

danatdelta, I haven't tested this out to the fullest, nor do I know the actual limitations of the AEBS, but how many addresses are you expecting to add? And would maybe creating a locked network and having a whitelist work better?

4. danatdelta thread starter macrumors newbie

I currently have 16 entries, including the default.

Danny

5. skorpien macrumors 68020

If that's the case, then I don't think an access list limit would be an issue. What exactly is your setup and for what purpose if you don't mind me asking?

6. danatdelta thread starter macrumors newbie

I am using the Airport as a wireless AP in an office, the restrictions are because the access is only for certain people who have permission to get unfiltered internet access. So I am using the MAC address to grant access.

As I said I currently have 16 entries, but I would like to add more. Hence the question.

Danny