Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brsboarder

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 16, 2004
I was expecting a release of a new airport express and have been holding out for a couple weeks, hoping for an new one. But, because it wasn't released, is there any chance that it will be released soon/dropped price, or should I buckle and buy it

law guy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2003
Western Massachusetts
brsboarder said:
I was expecting a release of a new airport express and have been holding out for a couple weeks, hoping for an new one. But, because it wasn't released, is there any chance that it will be released soon/dropped price, or should I buckle and buy it

What you know is 1) you want an AP express; 2) it will work just fine; 3) they're relatively inexpensive. Were you holding out b/c you didn't want to miss out on some new feature? My wireless equipment (base station and an express) will likely out last my systems - they work, they transmit broadband througout my house. I can't see this basic functionality being made obsolete in the near future by a newer version of the little express unit. Order it from Amazon or someplace with easy no particular reason needed returns for a reasonable time period if this nervousness of just missing it is causing too much angst. Good luck and hopefully you'll enjoy whatever wi-fi unit you do get.

RHMMMM

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2005
Go ahead and buy one, it's not like it's a $2500 Powerbook or $1300 iMac - it's $129 or even $99 if you get a refurb. The worst that can happen is that Apple will release a better one and you can eBay it.

Make sure you upgrade it to firmware 6.3.

I got one a week ago and love it, awesome toy. I just use it for audio streaming (with external DAC) on my Hi-Fi system.

JupiterTwo

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2003
GB
I've already got one, and I'm tempted to get another with iTunes now supporting streaming to multiple expresses at once.

If the video streaming comes out, you never know it might just be a firmware update ;)

Go for it, they're ace :)

Tel

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2005
England
tzibo said:
I've already got one, and I'm tempted to get another with iTunes now supporting streaming to multiple expresses at once.

If the video streaming comes out, you never know it might just be a firmware update ;)

Go for it, they're ace :)

Wouldn't the Airport Express need a port to stream video to?

RHMMMM

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2005
If the video streaming comes out, you never know it might just be a firmware update

Well, I can tell you that won't happen, the AE uses a Burr Brown (TI) PCM2705 chip for the audio output, which is purely an audio-DAC. It's not video capable and can't become so through any kind of firm/soft-ware update

virus1

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2004
LOST
tzibo said:
the express isn't rigged up with video yet. unless they have a video out that just is hidden as a headphone out....

they wouldn't do that tho. thatd be a loss for them.

Edit: woah 3 in a row..!

JupiterTwo

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2003
GB
RHMMMM said:
Well, I can tell you that won't happen, the AE uses a Burr Brown (TI) PCM2705 chip for the audio output, which is purely an audio-DAC. It's not video capable and can't become so through any kind of firm/soft-ware update

Cheers - that's good to know :) - as the saying goes "everyday's a school day"

[The premise I pondered the firmware update was I thought the iPod docks had a multi-functional line-out jack, so the express might have one too.]

iRhyknow

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2005
I just bought one also, mine should arive today! That means at around 8:00 PM central I'll have a post asking for helpon setting it up! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.