Airport Express to get more coverage

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by macsig, Oct 5, 2008.

1. macsig macrumors regular

Hello, I'm using Time Capsule to have wireless connection through my home, but since it is over 2 floors and time capsule is upstairs, the first floor doesn't have coverage anywhere so I thought to buy a Airport Express to put downstairs (where I have signal) to amplify it though all the floor.

Should it work? I'm not sure I can use Airport Express for that purpose.

Thanks

2. FunkyMonkey macrumors 6502

Yes! I do this with my Express. But both must be on the same channel and there are some settings you have to tinker with but it is very doable.

3. macsig thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks,
    is there a tutorial I can follow?

have a nice day

4. waw74 macrumors 68030

5. macsig thread starter macrumors regular

6. FunkyMonkey macrumors 6502

Basically you just need to enable WDS. Then you should be good.

7. macsig thread starter macrumors regular

Hello again,
    I'm looking online in order to buy a Airport Express and I notice there are 2 different models (802.11b and 802.11n). The second one costs almost double of the first one. I know it is faster since supports protocol 802.11n but I would like to know which one is better for the price. Can I really notice the difference with my 6Mbit connection and several devices connected?

Thanks

8. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

What kind of devices are you talking about. 802.11b is extremely outdated (802.11b was introduced in the late 90's), and IMO, it really isn't worth it to buy anything that is 802.11b. If you do any kind of media streaming, or wireless backups you'll be crippled. Your TC is 802.11n, and if you add an 802.11b device, it will reduce the speeds of the TC. It is really worth the extra money to get the 802.11n AirPort Express.

Don