Airport Express to M-Audio BX5a Monitors connection?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by PecanEater, Jul 8, 2008.

1. PecanEater macrumors 6502

PecanEater

I just got a great deal on a pair of M-Audio BX5a Deluxe Monitors. There in the mail but I'd like to find out the best way to connect them to my computer. I think I'll have them receiving input via an Airport Express. The BX5a input is a 1/4" TRS connector. I believe I'll need a Stereo Mini (1/8") Male to Two Mono 1/4" Males. Is that correct? Any recommendations of the best place to get this?

2. Luap macrumors 65816

Luap

Answered your own question ;) Just make sure the cable splits in to stereo left & right leads.. Rather than splitting a mono signal and you are good to go...

3. KelchM macrumors regular

Just an FYI, if you are planning to use the BX5a's for any serious monitoring/listening you should know that the the DAC in the AirPort Express is pretty poor. I'd consider utilizing the AE's optical output with an external DAC.

4. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Yes, if anything you might want to use a usb sound exporter, otherwise you might as well go get some normal computer speakers...

5. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

I don't think you can use external sound cards with the AirPort Express. External DACs work well though, just make sure iTunes' volume control and EQ is disabled, use an external DAC and an external preamp such as the Rotel RA06.

Although this is only if you find that the Airport Express' built in output doesn't sound that good. You may listen to it and find the sound it produces is excellent, in which case leave the iTunes volume control on and don't worry about any kind of external DAC.