Airport express to netgear

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Problem Child, Nov 18, 2007.

1. Problem Child macrumors newbie

Hi everyone, I'm hoping there are some people in this forum with the genius to help me.

Start with the basics I use a netgear DG834G that came from my ISP for my wireless network that works fine. Now I recently got an Airport express as it was on sale.

The past few days I've been trying to get my airport express to "bridge" or extend my current network so i can connect to the internet and use the features of the express.

So far I've been "successful" in getting the green light on the airport express after configuring manually in airport admin. It is connecting to my netgear router but must be connecting as if it is a computer, as I cannot conect to my airport express when it is connected wirelessly to my netgear, it doesn't show up on wireless networks list.

I can connect my airport express through ethernet and it works great with my router, but i want it wireless conecting so i can put the airport express upstairs. I also have two spare "netgear DG834GT" routers from sky, so i don't think these have the full netgear firmware, they don't have bridge mode for example. Thought I'd mention them as they may be of use.

Basically i need my Airport express conecting to my netgear router to extend the network. Any help is Greatly appreciated! :eek:

Thanks

2. saxman macrumors 6502

I don't have any experience with the DG834G, but I believe that most routers that support WDS (the method to extend a wireless network's range) do not communicate well with Apple's implementation. And most don't work with any other manufacturer's implementation. I remember reading that some of the Linksys routers do work with the Apple routers with some sort of hack or special firmware.

I had a Netgear WGR614 and my APEX would not extend the netgear's wireless range. It would join the network, but could not extend it.

Maybe someone has got this to work, but when i researched it about 9 months ago, it was a no go with any netgear routers. Check the Apple discussion forums and possibly someone can help you, but I wouldn't get my hopes up

3. Problem Child thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm yeah the apple forum topics seem to just say how netgear routers don't support the WDS. How ever I've seen on the web talking about how they got it working, i know I'm close to getting it working, and hopefully have two spare routers helps.

Maybe bridging two netgear ones wirelessly and then conecting the airport express to one via ethernet.

4. jamesconroyfinn macrumors newbie

I've got a Netgear dg834gt (provided by Sky)…

In order to get Airport (AP) Express working with my Netgear router I set the AP base station up to join the existing wireless network using WPA/WPA2 Personal and supplied the SSID of my Sky-flavoured WiFi.

The SSID will probably be something like SKY12345 unless you've changed it already.

Hope this helps!

5. buirseach macrumors newbie

I may be being an idiot.

But could I ask how you did this?

6. jamesconroyfinn macrumors newbie

You can configure your Airport Express (APX) using Airport Utility (APU) (/Applications/Utilties/Airport Utility.app.)

Make sure you've update your APX firmware to the latest version using APU. Then in the base station configuration under Airport > Wireless you'll find your wireless mode setting. APX base stations have the option to join an existing wireless network.

Using this method add your Netgear WiFi settings, i.e. your network name (SKY12345 etc.), security settings (WPA/WP2 Personal) and the password used to access the network.

Update your base station settings and you should find your base station connects to the Netgear wireless network and allows you to stream music from iTunes via AirTunes.

Hope this is succinct enough. If you have any further questions post away!

Attached Files:

7. buirseach macrumors newbie

cheers.

Set up as shown.

I'm now able to stream to it from iTunes, and printer sharing via usb, and the network light is blinking on the slingbox!

wooo....

8. buirseach macrumors newbie

9. buirseach macrumors newbie

stuff it, I'm going to get a WLI-TX4-G54HP or WGPS606 and shift the AX to the bedroom for airtunes