Airport express to stream internet radio

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by karlsmacpro, Apr 4, 2012.

1. karlsmacpro macrumors member

Hi folks, I'm thinking of buying an airport express to play music stored on my macbook pro through iTunes to my Hifi. Does anyone know if I could also stream internet radio from my macbook through the Airport express? Thanks, Karl

2. mchalebk macrumors 6502a

If I understand it correctly, you can only stream audio from iTunes, unless you get a 3rd party app like Airfoil. The good news is that Airfoil works great. You can stream audio from pretty much any source (any app, line inputs, etc.) to any Airplay device.

3. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Above poster is right - out of the box, only iTunes can Airplay from a computer. However, if you have an iPhone or other iOS device, most apps have Airplay functionality built in.

4. karlsmacpro thread starter macrumors member

Thanks very much for this helpful pointer. I've taken a look at the Rogue Amoeba website and see I can access grooveshark, pandora etc (just discovered and so good news!) but I now have one further "clarification question" which isn't 100% clear from the website. Is it possible to stream live broadcasts of, say, BBC radio? Thanks again, in anticipation.

5. Enzedder, Apr 6, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2012

Enzedder macrumors member

Yes, Airfoil will hijack and 'airplay' the audio on any application you select on your Mac.
    I use Radium's AirTunes streaming capability to play BBC radio through my AE.

6. karlsmacpro thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for all this really useful help. I've bought my airport express and will be setting it up in the morning.