Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 22, 2005
Is it possible to use an Airport Express as a wireless bridge for multiple connections, i.e. have the Airport Express set up in WDS mode and connect it to a switch or hub so that multiple wired devices (a Tivo and an XBox 360, to be exact) can both connect to it for internet access (which the Airport Express ultimately gets wirelessly from an AEBS)?

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
Absolutely, there are a number of tutorials out there that tell you how to do this. Though the Airport Setup software is pretty straight forward on how to do this.

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 22, 2005
Absolutely, there are a number of tutorials out there that tell you how to do this. Though the Airport Setup software is pretty straight forward on how to do this.

Thanks- I knew it was possible to set it up with one wired device, I wasn't sure if there was some reason I couldn't connect a switch to it.

Ralf The Dog

macrumors regular
May 1, 2008
It does not work for me.

I can get my Express to connect to a single device, however, when I try to use a switch, it does not work.

(Just a thought as I was typing this, it would be embarrassing if the switch I was using turned out to be a router. I double checked, It is a Netgear 5 port Fast Ethernet Switch Model FS 105)

Any help would be great.

Thanks.

jmazz777

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2008
Airport Express & 5 Port Switch

I have the following im trying to all get working (via an internet connection):

- Airport Express
- 5 Port Dlink Switch
- Cable Modem/connection

- Macbook Pro via Wireless to the Express
- PS3 via wireless
- Xbox 360 Hardwired into switch
- Tivo into switch
- Samsung LCD TV into switch for infolink

I cannot get everything to work all at the same time. Im getting a blinking Amber light on the Airport Express. Dlink said the Airport prob wont work in this setup and to get an extreme. I rather not do that; I stream music from my laptop to my stereo which is hooked up to my TV.

HELP!!

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
first, please instead of digging up an old dead post that's slightly related, start a new one

You need a router, not a switch (the extreme is one example of a router)

if you only have a switch, than everyone has access to anything that is wired to it. (with the right address, i could access your TV with no passwords) Plus you have multiple devices connected to you modem, most ISPs limit the number of connections you can have. If you have a router, it will share one connection to the outside world to all of your devices.
and multiple more security issues from using a switch instead of a router.

you can have an extreme (or any other router) and an express running on the same network, so you wouldn't loose your music functions.

jmazz777

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2008
Airport Express Prob

Let me know if you get this resolved and I will do the same (I have the same prob).

Here is the prob. your ISP (cabe/DSL) provided only gives you ONE IP, unless you pay for a Static account (which is more money). When you hook up your switch one of the devices is taking the IP. Im thinking the best way to resolve this is to get a hardwired (not wireless) router. Im going to pick one up now and really think that will do the trick. You need to make sure you put bridge mode on the express.

Let me know if you find anything out on your end.
-------

I can get my Express to connect to a single device, however, when I try to use a switch, it does not work.

(Just a thought as I was typing this, it would be embarrassing if the switch I was using turned out to be a router. I double checked, It is a Netgear 5 port Fast Ethernet Switch Model FS 105)

Any help would be great.

Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.