Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Riggs127

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2009
Simple Question,

I have a network of Macs and PC's connecting wirelessly to a router... I can connect an Airport using either a ethernet cable or wirelessly to the existing network so this will not be an issue, the question is however:

Can I use Wireless Speakers to play airtunes through the Express from my Client Machines?

Or do the speakers that play airtunes have to be connected via the RCA cables to the Express unit?

thanks for your help guys

:)

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
The AirTunes sender is the computer.

AirPort Express is the receiver.

The only receivers are Airport Express, AppleTV, AirFoil Speakers app.

AirTunes is not for video sound (except for the files that you can play through AirFoil Video Player).

Riggs127

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2009
The AirTunes sender is the computer.

AirPort Express is the receiver.

The only receivers are Airport Express, AppleTV, AirFoil Speakers app.

AirTunes is not for video sound (except for the files that you can play through AirFoil Video Player).

You lost me... abotu the video?

All I want to do is play Music from iTunes on my computers, via a Airport Express, to a wirelesss speaker.

can this be done?

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
I said, Airport Express RECEIVES music. ANY base station can forward AirTunes to receivers.

But there's no audio equipment with AirTunes. It must be connected to an AirTunes receiver (Airport Express, AppleTV, or Mac/Windows/Linux/iPhone/iPodTouch with AirFoil Speakers app).

FWIW, a computer receiving AirTunes might be set to output its audio via Bluetooth.

rkdiddy

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2008
OC Baby!
You lost me... abotu the video?

All I want to do is play Music from iTunes on my computers, via a Airport Express, to a wirelesss speaker.

can this be done?

Yes, as long as your wireless speakers are plugged into your Airport Express.

Also, when you have an Airport Express on your network - you will see a drop down on the lower right corner of your iTunes that allows all of your machines to stream to the AE.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.