Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ollifi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 30, 2013
I bought an AirPort Express (A1088) and set it up to connect my existing wifi network and act as AirPlay receiver. It works perfectly but the issue is lack of volume control. If I set my iOS device volume to zero, it plays very quietly. But if I increase the volume just a little bit, it is way too loud. I have connected active speakers to AirPort Express, and they don't have any volume adjustment possibility.

So I'd like to know, if there is any option to adjust AirPort Express volume? If not, does this issue only occur on the old model (A1088), is it fixed in A1392?

I'd appreciate any reply, thank you =)

EDIT 4th July:
I've now tested this on the newest model A1392. The issue does not occur with it!

If you've got an A1088 / 1st generation AirPort Express, please click here to go message #8 and report your experiences, I'd really appreciate that!

Last edited:

Ollifi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 30, 2013
hfg, thanks for the tip.. that's one alternative but I suspect it would decrease the sound quality :|

LiveM, I'm using analogue audio from it, since my speakers support analog input only.

LiveM

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2015
If you're using analogue, the amplifier should be the volume controller. The signal should be supplied from the Express to the amplifier at full strength. Active speakers have built-in amplifiers. There is no way to attenuate the signal from your iOS device. This keeps the signal to noise ratio as good as possible.

Ollifi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 30, 2013
Thanks for the reply. When I use AirPlay, the iOS volume buttons work. So that is the way to attenuate. The problem is that the step from 0 (very quiet) to 1 (loud) is way too high.

Ollifi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 30, 2013
I've now tested this on the newest model A1392. The issue does not occur with it!

So could anyone confirm if the issue (volume step from 0 to 1 is very high, the volume control is not natural like when you connect headphones) persists on ALL A1088 devices, or is mine faulty? Please test yours and report back, I'd really appreciate that! Thanks :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.