Airport Express transmission speed

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by mic j, Mar 15, 2015.

1. mic j, Mar 15, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2015

mic j macrumors 68030

How can I determine the speed at which my AE is communicating with my AEBS? I have the AE set to "join network". I know I can get this info easily for my MBP but I have not figured out how to do it for my AE. I see the AE in the Airport Utility but do not see any info on transmission rate just "connection: excellent".

I am looking to get a powerline adapter for the AE and would like to be able to compare transmission speed between the AE and AEBS before and after using the adapter.

Also, with a powerline adapter, is there any advantage/disadvantage to using the AE to extend the network vs join the network. Right now I am getting between 70 and 100Mbps on my MBP. Would be nice but not necessary to boost that even higher if there are no serious tradeoffs. Right now, my understanding is that if I set the AE to extend the network, my transmission speeds will actually decrease because of the increased communication between the AE and AEBS. I think I tried that a while ago and that is what happened. So I went back to just joining the network.

Have to admit, I get a little lost on network stuff, so thanks for your help.

2. marzer macrumors 65816

marzer

If you hover over or click on the word "excellent", additional info will be displayed: data rate, noise level, and type of wifi connection.

3. mic j, Mar 15, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2015

mic j thread starter macrumors 68030

Wow!! thanks. Obviously never knew that.

Update: so the AE data rate is 58Mb/s. While my MBP (in same room with AE) is 117Mb/s. Does anyone think connecting the AE to a powerline adapter (of course assuming it works properly with my home wiring) would improve my iTunes AirPlay drop outs? Or using it to extend my network would provide better bandwidth to my MBP and better AirPlay.

4. dyt1983, Mar 15, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2015

dyt1983 macrumors 65816

edit: To remove personally identifying information not relevant to the thread.

5. mic j thread starter macrumors 68030

Thanks for that info. I am only using it to AirPlay music. I am a whole floor away from where my AEBS is (it's in the basement and I'm on the first floor). But yes, the MBP and AE are in the same room. A while ago I tried extending the network but it resulted in a big transmission rate hit to my MBP. My understanding is that when the AE and AEBS are used in that configuration the bandwidth is dramatically reduce because both of them are using the "pipe" to talk with each other.

6. dyt1983, Mar 15, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2015

dyt1983 macrumors 65816

edit: To remove personally identifying information not relevant to the thread.