AirPort Express Trouble

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by macintouch, Aug 28, 2009.

1. macintouch macrumors regular

I searched and searched, but couldn't find anyone with a similar issue as me... Maybe someone can help.

I have several Macs in my house connecting to the internet through a Linksys WRT54G w/ DD-WRT v2.4. We have one printer, a Brother 8870DW that has it's own wireless ethernet capability. This printer is currently setup and working just fine.

Today, I just purchased an AirPort Extreme from my local Apple Store and I would like to use this to connect a HP 4600 (the one that Apple is giving free with Macs right now).

If I load the AirPort Utility, it only finds the AirPort if I keep resetting it. I am able to play with the settings only after resetting. Then it says it's rebooting it and to wait for it to reboot or close the window. It never comes back online. It knows a printer is connected to it. But, I don't think the AirPort is connecting to my wireless network. I cannot install the new printer. Seems this is an AirPort and NOT a printer issue. What do I do?

Thanks in advance.

2. SqB macrumors 6502

did you buy an express or an extreme? Since you're using it with an existing network, have you set it up to "join an existing network"?

If it's an express, you might want to directly plug a computer into the ethernet port of the express. This will keep a constant connection and will allow you to see if you're correctly connecting to the rest of your network. If you plug into the express and turn off the wireless card on the computer connected to it and you can still access the network through the ethernet cable, the express is connecting properly.

3. macintouch thread starter macrumors regular

Not a bad idea. I will try that. I did in fact set it to "join an existing network" but I'm thinking it is somehow crashing when the configurations are being uploaded to the Express. It is an Express btw.

Thanks!

4. macintouch thread starter macrumors regular

5. SqB macrumors 6502

You're welcome. I've used every different configuration and troubleshot several issues with the express so I've gotten to be pretty knowledgeable about it. It's certainly one of my favorite tech toys.