AirPort Express Troubleshooting

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by drayman86, Apr 30, 2008.

1. drayman86 macrumors newbie

Cannot get the Airport Utility to detect my AirPort Exrpess for set up.

Here's my iMac:

Here's the AirPort Card Information:

AirPort Card Information:

Wireless Card Type: AirPort Extreme (0x14E4, 0x87)
    Wireless Card Locale: USA
    Wireless Card Firmware Version: Broadcom BCM43xx 1.0 (4.170.46.5)
    Current Wireless Network: EAT_ME
    Wireless Channel: 6

As you can see, I have a wireless router installed on the iMac that's WEP Hex 64 bit encripted.

The AirPort express can't be detected by the utility in order to set it up, even when it's plugged in three feet from the iMac.

I've done a hard re-start on the AirPort Express, reloaded the AirPort Utility, ensured the Utility software was updated.

Suggestions?

Thanks.

2. Bambeezer macrumors regular

Are you disconnecting from the current wireless and connecting to the airport express network? I broadcasts a generic apple name that you must connect to before you can configure wirelessly. You could also connect ethernet to it.

3. lowonthe456 macrumors 6502

same here, my express sits there with a green light but itunes dowsn't see it. airport utility doesn't see it either. i do a factory reset of the ax and it then shows up in the util. i start from scratch and reboots.........light goes green and then nothing....never shows up again....

i am so ***** tired of this thing not working. i have no cash to get a new one either. sucks

4. drayman86 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies. I solved my own problem.

Although I tried several re-sets (hard and soft), a soft re-set (with the AP Xprs still plugged in) worked. Was able to easily configure the unit, connect to stereo, and stream iTunes to it. Now I'm gonna have the neighbors across the STREET asking me to turn it down. :D

After reading several posts on Leopard problems with APX, I'm gonna stick with Tiger. Also understand there's palm pilot compatability problems with Leopard too.

5. jpwheeling2000 macrumors newbie

Problem

Can you tell me how you fixed the problem, I see your wrote something, but I don't understand it. I ran into the same problem with my Express, tried all the Hard Restarts and still nothing, please tell how you did it, thanks.

6. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

I connected to my router with ethernet
    connected to airport on wireless
    opened utility
    manual setup, stream itunes
    STATIC IP on network
    put $ in front of password

Works a dream, 10.5.5

7. MAC neophyte macrumors newbie

what worked for me

Since I viewed this page last night while trying to fix this problem, I thought I would post the solution that worked for me. I was trying to join an existing network. The wireless security settings defaulted to 128 bit encryption, which I assumed was correct cus i don't know that much about this stuff. Turns out I only had 40 bit encryption and had to reset that and reenter my WEP key. Once I fixed this under the manual set-up options, it worked.

8. ohiostatefn macrumors newbie

Hum over the stereo when using AirTunes

I recently connected an AirPort Express to my AEBS wireless network for the AirTunes capability. After much pain and suffering getting it set up correctly, I finally turn on the stereo and there is a loud humming sound. I am connected via the AE using a 3.5mm to RCA and have changed the inputs on the back of my receiver. Nothing seems to work. Could it be the cables? I am to the point that I want to return the AE, but don't want to pay a 20% restocking fee (such BS!). Thanks.