Airport Express updated?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Feelio, Mar 9, 2015.

1. Feelio macrumors newbie

In the European online Apple Store, the price of the Airport Express is now 109 instead of 99 euro. Is there an update of the Airport Express or is it to compensate the price drop of the Apple TV? :rolleyes:

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Link?

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

5. brentsg macrumors 68040

Price adjustments due to currency fluctuation is most likely the explanation.

6. tibas92013, Mar 10, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2015

tibas92013 macrumors 6502

Today i bought a Refurbished Apple Time Capsule 2013 2GB off the USA Apple Store in which the price has dropped to $199. Last week the price was $255.

The Refurbished Apple Extreme 2013 also dropped in price to $129.

7. animatedude macrumors 65816

Hmm i wonder if this is usual or if it means a refresh is soon

8. broadbean macrumors 6502a

Prices for pretty everything - except desktop Macs, Apple TV and iPads went up in price in Australia when the MacBook (2015) and Watch were launched. Had to be due to the falling Australian dollar against USD.

In the US the Apple TV went from $99 to $69. In Australia, it went from $109 to $109... which is the reason why it didn't go up!

9. robgendreau macrumors 68040

The Express is sort of lost right now.

It's rather too big and clunky for a travel router in comparison to others (and more costly), too slow and feature crippled for a regular router, and even a bit behind in the AirPlay realm—there are tons of speakers, sound systems, etc that run directly off wifi or bluetooth now while the Express still uses a 3.5mm jack. And you can only configure it with Apple's proprietary software, at least until they EOL that utility and it becomes a brick like the older Expresses.

I hope they don't update the Express, and instead start all over. Or maybe it's just not a useful category for Apple given you can get about the same functionality for a fraction of the price from numerous other vendors.

10. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

This. They made it less compact but kept the whole 'one Ethernet port' thing. Weak. The Extreme is the only decent router Apple do nowadays.

11. mic j macrumors 68030

Can you suggest another unit that I can Airplay iTunes to my existing stereo system and extend my wifi coverage (for somewhere around $100)?

12. rvinny macrumors regular

Check out Netgear. I recently saw an 802.11ac extender in the store for $80. Not sure about the audio port for Airplay.

I recently replaced my Apple routers (latest versions of Extreme and Express) with a single ASUS. The lack of features on the Apple routers, simplification of Airport Utility and some undiagnosed issue where my connection would hang when moving between the routers (only started since iOS8) were what sent me looking. I now get similar performance (if not better) with a single ASUS. Apple is definitely losing ground in the wireless AP dept.