Airport Express - Use Only for AirPlay, Not Router

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by jdag, Aug 28, 2014.

1. jdag macrumors 6502a

I am not sure if this is the correct forum location, but "Home Theater" seems to apply...

My son would like to hook up powered speakers to the Express in his dorm room so that he can play music from his iPhone (not from a computer, not from iTunes, just from an iPhone). It would not be possible to join the campus WiFi network.

1) Is it possible to set up an Airport Express solely as an AirPly target (not a part of any network)?

2) Will the Express be visible on the iPhone AirPlay pop up even though the phone will be on the campus network?

I believe the answer to both is no. I've been experimenting and cannot make it work. The alternate is to just get him a bluetooth adapter, but we have the extra Express so wanted to try that 1st.

2. rluvbeach macrumors member

you can set up a wifi network with the airport express, not connected to the internet, join the network with your iphone and stream music to it that way

3. jdag thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, I realize that. But is there a way to AirPlay when not on the same network? The iphone has to be on the campus network.

4. Panch0 macrumors 6502a

There has been talk of AirPlay using BlueTooth coming in iOS 8, but I don't think that would help in your case as I don't believe the Express has built in bluetooth (AppleTV does). You could try experimenting again in a couple of weeks when iOS8 becomes available, but more than likely you will need to go a different route.

5. jdag thread starter macrumors 6502a

Think I will just grab a $20 Bluetooth adapter and forgo the AE

6. spatlese44 macrumors 6502

Couldn't you configure the Express to extend the college network and then connect with the phone to the extended network?

I was interested in a similar problem in configuring one of these for car use. The problem there being that you need to connect it by wifi for airplay, but want to use cellular for data. You can read about it at the link below. Unfortunately, I don't think there's a way to do connect to two wifi networks, which is essentially what you're asking. While it may seem convoluted, the extension of the college network should, in practice, be a relatively transparent solution.

http://evolver.fm/2013/06/06/airplay-on-the-highway-put-apple-airport-express-in-your-car/

7. jdag thread starter macrumors 6502a

That might be possible. But a BT receiver is so inexpensive I am not going to struggle with this.

8. waw74 macrumors 68030

That would't work.
    To extend a network, the main network has to be set up for it, and i'm guessing the school wouldn't allow that.