Airport Express Useful In University?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by rekhyt, Feb 28, 2011.

1. rekhyt macrumors 65816

Is the Airport Express useful in university? The one that I'm going to already provides wireless in the dorm rooms, and has a separate desk with an ethernet wire, but the administrators there say that the wireless is a bit temperamental.

What do you guys use your Airport Express for, other than setting up your own WiFi network? Is it convenient? Do I need to reset the settings every time I unplug/move it around?

2. Hberg macrumors member

I have an Airport Express that I use for wireless when I travel, and it works fine in hotels that only have wired internet service. I have never had to reset it, and I find it quite convenient.

However, if the University already provides wireless, I am unsure of the actual need. Unless you are stating that the University Wireless is a bit temperamental. The only other advantage I can see for the Airport Express is if you wanted to avoid the University wireless due to over usage by your fellow Dorm Mates.

3. Aidoneus macrumors 6502

As I've just graduated from university, I'd recommend against it. Wait until you get there, and see what the provided wireless is like. In my experience, it was very good, even at peak times (as far as peak times exist for students).

If you get there and find the wireless situation unworkable, look into an Airport Express or other router. There's no sense in jumping in right now.

4. hutchej macrumors newbie

hutchej

I'm in agreement with @aidoneus. Best to see what coverage and performance you get at school. My campus was pretty good but our residence only offered wired connections in the room. The APE came in handy.

In addition to connectivity I use it to stream music to my large stereo. I absolutely love it for this.

5. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

I'd agree with the 2 above posters, wait til you get there and then decide. I've used Airport Extremes and Time Capsules in dorms and they were semi-useful but kinda overkill. It can be nice having wireless when it's not available, and wireless printing and file access is definitely nice.

6. Howardchief macrumors regular

Go ahead and get it.

This is why I say go ahead and get it now. Regardless of the University's wifi performance (even if it's good.. things can go down temporarily) AirPlay is a great reason to have it. Not sure if you said if you're a freshman or not, but this will last you quite a while. It's very portable and will come in handy when you leave the dorms and rent a house with friends junior and senior year. The APE is a great way to start building a wireless sound system. You, of course, will also have the ability to print wirelessly, just don't tell this to anyone on your floor, as they will inevitably ask you to print off their term papers. Using the Airport Utility, hide your network! Buy it. Amazon has it cheaper than apple

EDIT: Amazon doesn't have any really great deals on it now.. They did when I got mine :)
    What University are you attending?

7. hutchej macrumors newbie

hutchej

I ended up purchasing my APE on Kijiji. It was slightly used, works perfectly, and cost a fraction of what a new one did.

Check out some of those local listing sites like craigslist and kijiji, you'll be surprised what kinds of deals you can find.