AirPort Express using Linksys wrt54g as a wireless client?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Ja Di ksw, Dec 28, 2013.

1. Ja Di ksw macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

Hello everyone. I'm using an Airport Express, and I would like to set up a Linksys wrt54g v1.1 that I have laying around to extend the Airport's network wirelessly so I can have a couple machines running on the Linksys with a VPN while my main computer / ipads run off of the Airport with no VPN.

I have no idea how to do this :). Any instructions I've found online assume I know way more about configuring networks than I do. Is there an "Idiot's Guide" type of explanation to setting it up that someone can explain or link for me?

I'm assuming (perhaps incorrectly) that nothing needs to be done to the Airport. I would imagine the Linksys just needs to be set up to use the network instead of getting internet through an ethernet cable, and then be set up to have a VPN on it....

Thanks for any help in advance!

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

To extend wirelessly like that the Linksys will need to support the WDS protocol, and it does not. I have read of users installing the aftermarket firmware DD-WRT in their Linksys and getting WDS to work that way, so you might want to try that.