Airport Express versus Airport Extreme

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by TWEWY, Sep 24, 2012.

1. TWEWY macrumors newbie

I'm finally getting wifi at my house after using dial-up then tethering to my iPhone, though now my problem is choosing express or extreme.
    I know both use dual bands, but the only thing making me sway to the Extreme would be the "high-speed*network" thing the large part not so much of a care.

Could someone help me choose or explain more?
    Please and thank you.

2. DaveTheRave macrumors 6502a

The Extreme is "better" than the Express in most ways (more powerful antennas, multiple and faster ethernet ports). The Express is a bit crippled in comparison, however the Express is cheaper, more portable, and lets use AirTunes, which is the killer feature that the more expensive Extreme can't do.

3. Knara macrumors member

Are there any thoughts as to when the Extreme is going to be updated? I thought I'd heard sometime this last spring or so that people were expecting one by the end of the year.

4. TWEWY thread starter macrumors newbie

My house is one story forty by thirty do you think I need a more powerful antenna than the express?
    I doubt the I'll use the ethernet ports.

I don't think portability matters.

I bought both just trying to decide which to keep and which to return.

Based on what I've said which is better for me?

5. DaveTheRave macrumors 6502a

The newest flavor of wifi is 802.11ac. But it's not yet part of any Apple computer's specs. Once it appears there I'd expect Apple to add that to the Extreme. Not sure about the Express, which was just updated few months ago.

----------

Sounds like the Express is better for you since your house is smaller.

6. MFL2012 macrumors member

I have the Express and it covers both floors of my home just fine. Netflix, HD streaming from iTunes, no problems. Save yourself some money and take back the Extreme.

7. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

I'd go with the Express for your needs. Although, personally, I love my extreme. I have a 6200sq ft house, and it covers it completely. I've walked outside and can get signal 4 houses away (1 acre lots).
    Due to this, I use it broadcasting at 10% capacity and it covers everything still without going for houses upon end.
    My favorite feature is the USB port. I have a laser printer hooked up to it, and I don't need to leave computers on to print. It's always there. If you plan on doing these, go for the extreme hands down, but otherwise, the express suits your needs perfectly.