Airport Express very slow... please help!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Jimmyz, Oct 25, 2008.

1. Jimmyz macrumors regular

So, I was at the Apple store and I decided to pick up a Time Capsule 1 TB. I had some problems setting it up because I had it connected to my Linksys WRT54G output, so I replaced the WRT with the Time Capsule, wired the Time Capsule to my Windows PC, and it worked. The wireless also worked flawlessly (initially it did not though, but once I changed the channel from 11 to 9, it worked great), but because the Time Capsule is in a fireproof boiler room in my basement, it does not get good reception on the first and second floors (although I do get some reception). So, I decided to buy two Airport Expresses to extend the signal to my first and second floors. I put them in bridge mode, put them on the same channel (#9), and set them to extend the network. Now, when I go on my laptop, it works sooooo slow (I clock it between 50 and 100 kbs). So, my house also has a built in ethernet system/network, such that I can plug in a cable from my Time Capsule to an ethernet input on the wall, and depending on the input, it will send the wire connection to different rooms (so it is basically a giant ethernet extension cord with multiple inputs and outputs). I then thought that the bad signal on the first floor was what was slowing it down, so I connected my Time Capsule to the input on my basement leading to the living room, and then in the living room, took an ethernet cable, plugged it from the wall to the Airport Express, and then plugged in the Airport Express, but still the connection was slooooow! I double checked that it was on the same channel, on bridge mode and set to extend a signal, but it sill was slow, and I also plugged the cable straight into my laptop, and I was getting at least 1200 kbs, so that isn't the problem, so I have no idea what could be the issue. I know it isn't anything I mentioned previously, like the channel, because it does work, it just works slow, and it can't be interference, because I don't have a 2.4 ghz phone in my home, plus when I am using just the Time Caplsule, I can get a fair strength connection downstairs on wireless, and the speed is between 800 and 2200 kbs. So does anyone know what is wrong? If I am not able to fix this, I am planning on returning one of the expresses and buying an extreme, putting it on bridge mode and to extend a signal, to see if that works. If that doesn't work, then I am going to have to return everything including the Time Capsule and go back to my old system, and I don't want to do that, so I would appreciate it if you can help.

Cliffs: The wireless on my Time Capsule works fine, but when I extend the signal with an Airport Express, it becomes very very slow.

2. Jimmyz thread starter macrumors regular

Also, I have two comments in which I wonder may help, but I am either not sure how to do it or not sure if it will help. First, does it matter that my Time Capsule is set to have 1 IP address for all PCs on the network, or would changing it to allow it to give different IP addresses to each computer on the network make it faster. Second, what is a WDS network, and if I set up a WDS network, will it make my express faster. Also, when I select to make a WDS network on my Time Capsule, it brings up a new tab that is full of blank fields, so if it does help, then how do I create a WDS network?

Thanks!

3. waw74 macrumors 68030

first, there is a little key on the right side of the keyboard, about in the middle. it says "enter" or "return" try using that from time to time, i have a headache from reading the giant block of text, kinda came across as a high school cheerleader who just drank a quad espresso with a red bull chaser.

with wireless extending of a network, your speed is cut in half for each jump. so 2 jumps is 1/4 speed.

it sounds like you have wired ethernet throughout the house, if so you'll have much better luck wiring together, although you need to set them up correctly

on the "remote" units

under wireless
    • Create network
    • same SSID and security settings (password & type) as the main base
    • different channels for each base (for 3 basses try 1,6,12 for the least interference)
    under Internet
    • set connection sharing to "off (bridge mode)"

WDS and extend are basically just 2 methods of the same thing.
    and you do want to share an IP, like you currently have it setup. each computer on the network does have it's own unique IP. You just have 1 IP from your internet provider, which is preferable.

4. Jimmyz thread starter macrumors regular

I tried all that and it still did not work. So I returned the express and bought an extreme and it works like a charm.