Airport Express vs Airport Extreme - wireless transfer speed

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by occamsrazor, Apr 1, 2010.

1. occamsrazor macrumors 6502

occamsrazor

I need a new N access point, that's all, and was thinking to get either an Airport Express or Airport Extreme.
    Can anyone tell me - when used solely as a wireless access point (not a router) - would there be any difference between the two models as to wireless transfer speed to other computers on the LAN?

Alternatively can anyone recommend me a good N-speed wireless access point? I already have a G router I want to keep doing the routing functions, I just need the N-wireless.....

Thanks....

2. belvdr macrumors 603

If both 802.11n clients will be connecting across this device, then you'll likely see improvements. However, if it is traversing that 802.11g router wireless in any way, no improvements will be seen.

The only benefit of the AEBS in your case is it's antenna.

3. occamsrazor thread starter macrumors 6502

occamsrazor

Setup would be like this:

Router with G Wifi
    via ethernet to
    Gigabit switch -- (via Ethernet to ) -- Wired Mac Minis
    via ethernet to
    Airport Ext/Exp
    via N Wifi to
    MacBookPro

So it would be MBP Wifi N to Wired Mac Mini with the Airport in the middle - it wouldn't be Wifi to Wifi, and wouldn't go via the G router.

I have other G-only clients, but was planning to keep them hooked up to the existing G router, to avoid them slowing down the Airport.

Does that make sense?

4. waw74 macrumors 68030

this is exactly my setup, i have an express with N.
    can't compare it to an extreme, but i get about 11MB/s with the wireless n and about 30MB/s over gigabit,

This is coming off a linux server, using netatalk (apple file sharing for linux). it is a sata drive, but it's an older mother board, so i think it's only 1.5 Gb/s.

it's a pretty seamless setup, i have my iPhone and another older (non N) express connected to the G, and my macbook connected to the N, i can run remote on the phone, control the macbook, and stream airtunes to the express