Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AaronOcean

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 31, 2007
California
So our house is 2 floors, about 900 square feet to each floor. I was wondering if the range of the Airport Express would be sufficient for our home, or if we should go for an Aiport Extreme for the house.

Anyone have any advice?

Stiiilll waitin' here haha

Celeron

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2004
I think you would be better off with the Airport Extreme as Wireless N is supposed to have better coverage. I considered getting an airport express myself until I read about all the units that die (search google for "airport express dies").

grockk

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2006
it's a hard question since wireless range depends on many factors. the materials of your house, drywall, brick, other neighbors networks, if the station will be in the corner of the house, if you have a microwave or cordless phones, how may computers are on your network, the list goes on.

I have found that all things equal they both are about the same for Wireless G networks. so if you are planning a G network, the extreme gains you nothing but it does future proof. the express is only G enabled and the extreme is N enabled. If your computer is only G then they will both be the same. if you have a N computer you will see a much better through put with the extreme (faster file transfer) and greater coverage.

So assuming you are content with G I'd go with an express. i have a powerbook G4 that can pick up my express network at my neighbors across the street or in my basement from the second floor.

devman

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
AU
I think you would be better off with the Airport Extreme as Wireless N is supposed to have better coverage.

It does in the n only 2.4GHz band, not 5GHz.

I considered getting an airport express myself until I read about all the units that die (search google for "airport express dies").

Geez - talk about a biased sample.

I considered having a child myself until I read about all the children that die (search google for "child dies").

Celeron

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2004
It does in the n only 2.4GHz band, not 5GHz.

Geez - talk about a biased sample.

I considered having a child myself until I read about all the children that die (search google for "child dies").

That search is just a convenient way to bring up the list of failures. Even the reviews on the Apple Store hint at the same thing. This forum here has a pretty good discussion of the issue.

AaronOcean

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 31, 2007
California
So I'm correct in assuming that we can use this as a stand alone device without another wireless connection point in our house? I just plug in the ethernet cable and I'm set?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.