Airport Express vs Airport Extreme

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Doju, May 29, 2009.

1. Doju macrumors 68000

Hey everyone. Loving the community by the way. All the help is terrific, can't thank you enough. A library of infinite knowledge, if you will. :)

I'm a basic Mac user. I have a junky 802.11b Airlink router that... just isn't getting the job done now a days. Plus, I'd love one made by Apple so it all works together well.

I'm drawn between an Airport Extreme or an Airport Express. Would the extreme be overkill for what I do?

Networking between one MacBook, one Mac Mini, and one Dell computer. I want to be able to hook my printer up to it so I can print wirelessly. Don't really need a hard-drive networked.

Really, what would be the advantage of an Airport Extreme over an Airport Express in this situation? Can I hook us a USB Hub for both?

Money is a variable, so keep that in mind. And it will work with the Dell, right? (Either one?)

Right now I notice when I have a lot of torrents downloading one on computer, internet on the other is slower. Is this because we're using 802.11b (I want n anyway). Or is it because they're both running on the same thing or whatever? With the Extreme vs. Express can you make it run on different channels so the internet speed/bandwidth/whatever is independent of each other.

Thanks a lot guys. Loving the community.

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Only the Extreme allows 2 different bands at the same time. You can use a mixed mode with either the Express or the Extreme which allows b/g/n devices on the same network but the g and n devices run slower if a b device joins the network (although not down to b speeds). Are any of the devices connected by Ethernet cable? If so, then the Extreme is your only option since the Express can only connect to the router with Ethernet. I find the Extreme has greater range in mixed mode (b/g/n).

3. mrmahaffey macrumors newbie

I have the newest extreme and I LOVE IT. works seamlessly with my Macs and other Wifi devices. Yes a little over priced but I love it.

4. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...I was torn between the AEBS and Linksys new sim dual band routers but wanted the USB port on the apple offering... it was more than I wanted to spend but I've been VERY happy with the decision and don't regret the more expensive unit one bit..."it just works".

The sim dual band is also fantastic as I have 2 N and 3 G computers in the house along with an iPod Touch...