Airport Express vs Airport Extreme

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by dellavoce, Feb 13, 2010.

1. dellavoce macrumors regular

I am upgrading from a g wireless router to an n. I have a Belkin right now that I hate. Neither I, on a mac, nor my roommate, on a PC, can get a consistent connection on it. Needless to say it's going back and I want to get an express or an extreme. I had actually bought an Airport Extreme first and it was lightening fast, but I was told that the Express was just as fast, so I went to exchange. The guy at BestBuy told me the Belkin was cheaper and just as fast, so I bought it. I would really like this to be my last trip to the store for a router. Do I need to shell out for the Extreme or is the Express just as fast if all you need is an n router?

2. 2Bad4U macrumors member

2Bad4U

I have both the Extreme and Express...the advantages are as follows.

Express
    - less expensive (half the cost)
    - small / portable
    - remote iTunes support
    - USB printer sharing (no USB disk sharing)

Extreme
    - connects to cable or DSL modems
    - dual band Wi-Fi
    - guest networking
    - greater range
    - multiple Ethernet ports (Express only has one)

I've not had any issues whatsoever with either model....both are highly recommended. BTW...I also have a 1 TB Time Capsule and have not had any issues, but they do run hot.

3. dellavoce thread starter macrumors regular

The express can also connect to a cable modem, can't it? I am looking for a wireless router to set up my home network

4. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Yes it can. It can create a wireless network. I take my express with me on vacations and create a wireless network in hotels and condos that only have wired access.

5. skorpien macrumors 68020

For a complete comparison:
    http://www.apple.com/wifi/
    Both can be used as broadband routers. Express has no Ethernet connectivity for clients when used as a router though, but if you're only connecting via Wi-Fi, then it's a perfect solution.