Airport Express vs Airport Extreme

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by JefferyShin, Apr 16, 2010.

1. JefferyShin macrumors regular

JefferyShin

Hello,

I'm trying to find out the difference between the two routers.

I know that there are different number of ports, etc, but what I found on the website is that Express uses a DRAFT 802.11n, while the Extreme uses 802.11n, the official one.

What are the differences between the two?

Thanks.

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11n-2009

3. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

The Express is more like a portable router, or to stream your Itunes music via AirTunes.

4. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

The main differences are just that: the number of ports. Of course they each have features that set them apart, but the number of ports is their main difference. If you require hooking up things to your network via Ethernet then youre going to need the extreme. If your setup is purely wireless then the express is best. You'll get the same wireless speeds from both.

I have both :D

5. gwerhart0800 macrumors 6502

A big difference is that the Extreme can support both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz networks simultaneously. The Express is limited to one or the other, but not both at the same time. I also think there are limits on the number of devices that can be connected on the wireless side, but that is usually not an issue for home networks.

6. occamsrazor macrumors 6502

occamsrazor

I'd like to know if there is any speed difference between the two - purely in terms of the wireless link, as I'm considering one to use only as an access point (not router). Has anyone seen an actual side-by-side test?

7. gwerhart0800 macrumors 6502

I have a strong feeling (but no evidence) that the smaller size of the Express makes antenna placement more limited and therefore, it will not perform as will as an Extreme at the same location relative to your other wireless devices. I will be upgrading my office from an Express to a TC once my patent bonus $$$ shows up in my paycheck. That would be my best chance to measure a difference. My current config runs an Express in ProxySTA mode to a Gig switch that connects to all my office toys. I am on my second Gig switch ... both this one and the previous one periodically go nuts and have to be power cycled. I am thinking that switching to a TC will kill two birds with one stone ... I will get better throughput with the new TC because of the better antenna and I will eliminate the flaky switch from the config.