Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

noodle654

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 2, 2005
Never Ender
I have a very good question. I have right now an Airport Extreme running as my main base station in my home. My house is quite large, and I would really like more coverage so I went out and bought 2 Express stations and converted an old WRT310N into a repeater bridge. My Airport Extreme is on the top floor of my home, as that is where the ethernet cable from the basement is. Would it be better to run an Express as the main router and then use the Extreme and the other Express as repeaters? Is the Express just as powerful as the Extreme? I am looking for the best range and best possible speed. The Extreme is the new dual band and the Expresses are both N.

MacBird

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2010
I use the Extreme as main station and an Express as repeater. If I remember correctly, the Express does not support parallel dual band and might go to g if one of the wireless devices does not support n. The range of the Extreme is about 25% better, too, at least this is what I read.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.