Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

4thWall

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 7, 2005
What exactly is the difference between Airport Extreme and Airport Express? Do you need one of them to run the other? Is one older technology than the other? Which one is better for me to buy, i just bought a new 14" ibook. Thanks.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Extreme: can have fifty users, has a wired ethernet port.

Express: cheaper, only ten users, has an audio out port.

They're pretty much the only significant differences between the tow. For all intents and purposes, they'll get the same range, the same speed and the same reliability.

You don't need one to use the other.

MoparShaha

Contributor
May 15, 2003
San Francisco
They are both wireless routers or access points. The AirPort Extreme can address 50 DHCP users, while the Express can only address 10. I don't recommend the AirPort Extreme. It's extremely overpriced, and in my experience, doesn't work too well (range problems and drops signal constantly). The only thing AirPort Express has going for it is that it can stream music wirelessly to a stereo. If you're not going to use this feature, just get a Linksys WRT54G wireless router. I've installed tons of these, and they work great. They're rock solid, and have lots of great features.

Anyways, I'm not trying to bash AirPort, but from experience, I'd go with another company for wireless products.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
MoparShaha said:
Anways, I'm not trying to bash AirPort, but from experience, I'd go with another company for wireless products.

A fair call, the alternatives will be cheaper. However, for the technically inept, the AirPort range is the easiest to set up and maintain. :)

4thWall

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 7, 2005
Thanks for the tips. Do you have any recommendations regarding NON-APPLE wireless products that work well. (That are hopefully cheaper)

MoparShaha

Contributor
May 15, 2003
San Francisco
mad jew said:
A fair call, the alternatives will be cheaper. However, for the technically inept, the AirPort range is the easiest to set up and maintain. :)
That's true, but how hard is it to go to http://192.168.1.1? I know what you're saying though.

Last weekend I installed an AirPort Extreme basestation for a client who just switched to Mac. He went out and bought all the stuff himself, so he got the Extreme (if he had consulted me, I would have steered him towards the Linksys). Anyways, he's had nothing but problems with it. We're returning it tomorrow and picking up the WRT54G. While I know it's probably an isolated incident, I expect more from Apple. Especially for the cost.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
I agree with you MoparShaha. I reckon it was an isolated incident though because the AirPorts are generally very reliable. Hell, you'd expect them to be considering the technology is relatively old.

For the record, I have two Expresses on a WDS network and no problems after about a year...

...touch wood. :p

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
This was before the Express was out, and I don't think there were quite as many WPA 802.11g routers available for $20-30, but I bought an AEBS because of the USB print server feature. Definitely.

Today, I'm pretty sure I would buy an Airport Express and use it in conjunction with a wired router if I needed wired ports (as it happens, I do), so that I'd have wireless printing and music. Or else, possibly, I'd buy a 3rd party router and use the extra money to buy an ethernet laser printer instead... :rolleyes:

The things Apple is the best about, in my mind, are providing advanced security features (they've been way ahead of the curve on WPA1 and WPA2) and providing secondary capabilities like the printing and music.

vixapphire

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
Los Angeles
I currently have a home network with an extreme base station and 2 expresses as "extenders". the base station is the 3d one; the previous 2 were total crap and apple replaced both. previously, i'd had an older airport base station; the quality was excellent. wouldn't have gotten rid of it if not for the usb printing feature on the extreme (which doesn't really work with my hp color laser 2500L, for whatever reason and no matter how i try), and the "extended networking"/express slaving features of the extreme. (my apt is nearly 3000 sq. ft' but all on a single floor - extenders are mandatory!).

if anyone's got a handle on how to make the wireless printing feature work, i'm all ears. i installed the HP drivers from cd on both my 867 powerbook and my dual 2G g5, but i can't get a rise out of either of them, printing-wise. so i'm reduced to going into my closet, grabbing the usb cable and standing there holding my laptop whenever i want to print something. a first-class pain in the "botox"...

save yourself the money, buy the airport express. or a linksys, of course...

greatdevourer

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2005
The Extremes are crap, but the Airport and Express ones are quite good (I use an Airport for the main router and an Express in my room, running into my Harmon Kardans :D

untamedhysteria

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2005
i have an express and it works fine *after i changed the channel b/c of my 2.4 ghz phone*
it's pretty straight forward setup and should do fine...plus with the added benefit of the wireless printing and speaker setup with it that's what i would go for.

The extreme seems a little too "extreme" for me...unless you actually have more than 10 users connected at your house. plus it doesn't send the music to your stereo system (as what i understand).

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
WeeShoo said:
OMG, I cant stop laughing! I had a really bad thought go through my mind.

Well I suppose I do have a propensity to go for small blondes. And the Express is as close to a small blonde as a wireless base station can get.

Yep. Fair call WeeShoo. :D

Oh, and there are two of them... :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.