Airport Express vs Extreme

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Lukewarmwinner, Aug 9, 2013.

1. Lukewarmwinner macrumors 6502

Hi guys

I need a new router to make my internet at home wireless. I'm getting a 50mbit line and would like to get a router from Apple.

What exactly are the differences between the two routers? I don't need other features than the router-thing, so don't care about Lan-ports, usb-ports, Airplay and so on.

Should I just buy an Express or go with the Extreme, when I only need a router for making my connection wireless? I'll have about 10 devices on the network.

2. SR45 macrumors 65832

SR45

3. Lukewarmwinner, Aug 9, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2013

Lukewarmwinner thread starter macrumors 6502

No, I don't own any devices with ac. But that's just a matter of time. Eventually I will. Maybe I'll just get the Extreme - although my apartment isn't that big, the better range sounds good :)

4. Serban Suspended

Today i just bought the new Time Capsule..even if i dont have a AC device because there are not out yet (MBP and iMac)

5. OfficiallyPB macrumors newbie

Im in the market for a wifi router also, and been wondering if the express will fit my needs. It will be for our office, we have 9/10 users and I am the only one with a laptop (macbook air) the rest are using PC's but all have iphones or smart phones.

reason behind the wifi would be for connecting our phones, ipads and laptops to the wifi for user around the office and in meetings. Also for guests to use when they come visit for meetings

would the express be enough for this?

6. Evildude683 macrumors regular

Evildude683

Hey guys I'll picking up an Extreme tomorrow along with a 8-port switch.
    I need your opinion, will the switch work fine with the Extreme? I don't want to bottleneck anything.