Airport Express vs Linksys RE1000 as Range Extender

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by i'm.huMAC, Dec 9, 2014.

1. i'm.huMAC macrumors newbie

With my current setup at home, I've got a Linksys RE1000 extending the network of my Time Capsule. I am looking to replace it with an Airport Express.

I am aware of how my home's environment would affect the range of both models but was wondering if someone could help me understand the range of the Airport Express in comparison to the Linksys RE 1000 or other extenders.

2. jdphoto macrumors 6502

jdphoto

I think the express would be nicer since everything looks nice and you can use Airport utility for everything. However I've never owned or used a RE 1000 so I can't comment on it's performance in comparison to the express.

3. Mikael H macrumors 6502

From a cursory glance, the RE 1000 seems to use cheaper components.
    For examle, the AirPort Express has dual-band radios, supporting higher throughput speeds in line-of-sight conditions, while the RE 1000 only uses the 2.4 GHz spectrum.
    As noted, the Express also integrates seamlessly with the AirPort Utility, which, of course, the RE 1000 wouldn't.
    The RE 1000 is less secure than the Express: According to what I read, it only supports WEP network security, while the Express supports WPA2 (both personal and corporate).
    And if you want to keep your own network gear secure, you can create a separate guest network on the Time Capsule and propagate it through the Express, which I guess would be hard with the RE 1000.

So yes, there are some benefits to switching.