AirPort Express vs Modem/Router combo

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by mdehoogh, Aug 14, 2013.

1. mdehoogh macrumors member

I have AT&T U-Verse right now but will be switching to TWC soon. TWC gives the option to buy your own modem if you don't want to pay a monthly equipment fee. I've been using a 2wire gateway provided by AT&T and it has worked alright but I have wanted to try out Apple's AirPort offerings...

My two options:

Motorola SBG6580 - cable modem with built in wifi router, $135
    http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-SURFboard-Gateway-SBG6580-Wireless/dp/B0040IUI46

or

Motorla SB6141 and an AirPort Express - $90 for the modem and $100 for the AirPort
    http://www.amazon.com/ARRIS-Motorola-SurfBoard-SB6141-DOCSIS/dp/B00AJHDZSI

The main differences that I see: AirPort has simultaneous dual-band while the Motorola appears to let you select one or the other (not 100% on this) and the Apple also gives AirPrint (which works very well in my experience) and AirPlay audio (though I already have an Apple TV so I wouldn't use this). The Motorola says it offers wireless printing but I'm not sure if it would be as seamless and easy-to-use as AirPrint.

Anyone have suggestions on which route I take? I like the idea of getting an Apple router since I have a number of other Apple products, and will likely buy a Mac within a year or so. At the same time, I like the idea of the cheaper all-in-one modem/router.

2. opinio macrumors 65816

Go for option 2 if you have apple devices. Macs work well with the AirPort Extreme and Express dual band setup.

I know it costs but you might want to think about the extreme too. It is gigabit and has a switch. And the latest model supports time machine on a external HDD. All depends on your budget and whether you make large file transfers across your network.

3. drsox macrumors 65816

drsox

Another vote for option 2. In my case I have a Draytek Vigor ADSL modem that works fine with AE devices. Try getting the cheaper AExpress unit and a modem, then if it works OK, swap it for an AExtreme when you get a Mac.

4. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Personally I prefer that the cable co. own the modem, if the monthly service fee isn't terrible (I think I pay $3/mo). Reason is that anything from the modem back becomes THEIR problem, less finger-pointing if there's an issue.

I do recommend the AirPort routers, they work great.

5. Old Zebra macrumors newbie

I'm on a Cox Communications cable with a Motorola SB6141 connected to an Airport Extreme (ac). Haven't had a single issue since upgrading to this combination. Also works fine with Apple TV (2G).