AirPort Express weirdness...

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by rexone, Apr 7, 2015.

1. rexone macrumors regular

Lake Weyba on the sub-tropical Sunshine Coast :)
    Okay, new AirPort Express. After much messing around managed to get it set-up just to run a set of speakers & back-up printer.
    Problem is this... it keeps randomly dropping off the network. It will stream music fine for hours then... gone, drops out.
    The light on front will still show green but it's lost as an AirPlay or PortHole streaming option.
    Only way to get it back up is to power it off/on.
    The speakers also make a really alarmingly loud electrical type of 'CRACK' noise when the AirPlay stream first kicks in...
    Any ideas peeps?
    Is there anyway to look at a connection log from the AirPort Express?

2. mic j macrumors 68030

Sorry, not going to be any help here, but wanted to say that I have been having a similar problem of the AE dropping AirPlay but the light staying green. The iTunes AirPlay symbol turns orange. However, I just need to re-select my living room speakers and it re-connects. Then I have to start playing the track again. Also, this only happens with my local media, not streaming radio music. My local media is stored on an NAS connected to an AEBS.

3. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Is it set to join or extend the network? Try checking for interference in Wireless Diagnostics on a Mac and check whether the issue occurs randomly or at a specific interval, perhaps when the DHCP lease is half up. If that fails, try downgrading the firmware to 7.6.1 as I found it to be by far the most reliable firmware when troubleshooting.