Resolved Airport Express WiFi authentication page

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by danskin, Feb 22, 2013.

1. danskin, Feb 22, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2013

danskin macrumors member

I'm now in college and using the airport express to turn my ethernet network into wifi.
    However, the network requires authentication. Every time I use my iPhone, iPad and Macbook it directs me to the authentication page. This is really irritating as the connection loses very quickly after the devices go to sleep (especially iPhone and iPad). Then I have to login in again separately.
    Is there a way which I can simply login once, and all three devices are free of logging in???

thanks

2. drsox macrumors 65816

drsox

Specifically, what is it asking you for ? Is it losing the Network Password ?

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

This sounds like something put in place by the college's IT staff, and not something related to the Airport. Better give the college IT staff a call to see what they say.

4. smellalot macrumors 6502

Have a look at that pages source code. Maybe you can create a bookmark of the login page with your id and password already filled in.

Do you have any HTML knowledge?

5. danskin thread starter macrumors member

No I don't think so :( although I do know how to look into the source code!

6. mwhities macrumors 6502a

My thought is it's the college's proxy making you auth to use their network. Nothing you can do there.

7. flynz4 macrumors 68040

Do you have Network set to "Off - Bridge mode"? If so, that could be the problem.

I suggest that the Airport Utility settings be:

Internet: DHCP
    Wireless: Create a Wireless Network
    Network: DHCP and NAT

This should allow your Airport Express to maintain the login connection to your school's network... and having your individual devices going to sleep should not affact the AE WAN connectivity.

If this doesn't work... it sounds like something that your school is putting in place.

/Jim

8. danskin thread starter macrumors member

WOW this surely works out!! I've been out for half a day and still my phone connects without having to login manually!!!! Thank you so much;)
    One more thing. After I set it to DHCP and NAT, the orange light started flashing and a error sign said that there was a 'Double NAT'. It connected to the internet just fine, so I clicked ignore. What does 'Double NAT' mean? Just want to know more:rolleyes:
    Anyway thank you sooooo much. Really appreciate it!

9. flynz4 macrumors 68040

NAT stands for Netowork Address Translation (if I remember right). That is what allows all of your devices behind your router (Airport Express) to share the same global address. Evidently, your school already has a NAT in place as well. I have not found any issues with double NAT and have ignored it in the past.

/Jim