Airport Express wifi distance vs Extreme

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jctivo, Sep 28, 2012.

1. jctivo macrumors member

I bought Airport Express today because the apple store employee (after researching it) said the wifi range/distance was the same on the express and Extreme? Is that true?

Any help would be appreciated. I'm trying to replace my verizon router and increase my wifi distance so the other end of the house has internet access which is doesn't right now (one floor down and 50 feet away).

Thanks,
    jctivo

2. marzer macrumors 65816

marzer

If you already bought it, why not just hook it up and see for yourself? :) But seriously, I would not replace the verizon router, as most any inexpensive home router would likely not provide coverage to the other side of your house.

But you do have other options: Move the verizon or AE to a more central location in the house.

OR

Use the AE in conjunction with the verizon router to extend coverage in the house. If the verizon inherently supports wifi extending you can do it w/o running an ethernet cable. Otherwise, run a length of ethernet cable to a distant location and install the AE there. (or perhaps you have ethernet ports in you house you can utilize).

3. jctivo thread starter macrumors member

I tried

at first it seemed to work better but then later in the day it didn't.

The reason I want the express near my router is that I have the audio cable running into my receiver which powers outdoor speakers. I have more faith in that than running audio out from my apple tv (which seemed to screw up my audio on my tv) but worked great on my speakers outside.

so I had two goals extend my wifi range at my house and getting another way to listen to music into my receiver. Since the extreme doesn't have airplay support, this wouldn't help my goals.