Airport Express will not join network

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by AndersHP, Oct 17, 2012.

1. AndersHP macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have an Airport Express in my livingroom, connected to my Linksys router via ethernet, and this seems to always work.

I recently added another Airport in my kitchen, but since this cannot connect to my WiFi, the first (wired) Airport was set to create a new Wifi for airplay. But this doesn't have access to the internet.

So now I'm stuck with:
    * My normal Wifi net that has internetaccess and plays airtunes in livingroom
    * Airport Wifi net with no internet, and plays airtunes in kitchen. (actually plays bad, with lots of interference, even though the distance between the 2 airports is something like 8 metres)

This seems to be rather annoying, both the interference, 2 nets and especially since I want to stream music to the kitchen from time to time. The best way to deal with this was to connect both Airports to my existing Wifi, but they won't.

My router is an older Linksys WRT54g - I'm thinking maybe this is non-apple-compatible? Is it because it's not 811n or something?

I'm running DD-WRT firmware on the router with UPnP enabled - is there anything else I can do?

2. AndersHP thread starter macrumors newbie

Or I can just ask another question:

Will me getting a new 811n router instead of my +6yrs old Linksys WRT54g solve everything?

'cus I kinda dislike the idea of having an old, cheap piece of hardware running my network for my new Wifi gadgets..

It's like having a private chauffeur in a brand new Bentley; but the driver is the old laughing janitor from Austin Powers! :D

3. AndersHP thread starter macrumors newbie

4. marzer macrumors 65816

marzer

Don't no if it'll fix your problem, but i'd change out the linksys with a more modern N capable router. And i'd suggest an airport extreme or time capsule to give the best flexibility in adding or extending wifi using the expresses.

5. AndersHP thread starter macrumors newbie

I've been trying all day to get this to work with no luck.
    It seems the problem is security when trying to join existing network.

If I disable security, it works.
    But as soon as I enable, the Airport says the network doesn't exist.
    I've been trying all sorts of combinations between WPA, WPA/WPA2 and with both TKIP and AES, and nothing works... I don't understand why this has to be so impossible..

How do I see if my Airports are 802.11g or 802.11n?