Airport Express - Will this setup work?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ShiryuX, Jul 20, 2009.

1. ShiryuX macrumors member

ShiryuX

Hey all,

I have received an Airport Express from a store near me since a Linksys N-Router didn't work as it should've. I haven't really found a use in it but since next year I'm going to uni and having my own room, I need to know something.

Setup 1: My dorm room will be equipped with ADSL connection through a cable : a Philips Powerline. I have never seen such a thing but basically, there was one internet jack coming out of it.

I was thinking, if I plug in the Airport Express and put the internet jack in that, will that actually send out a signal (and is it password protected?) or will it not send a signal at all? I'd use it constantly for my Xbox 360 and Laptop (Macbook Pro). If it does work, would it pose a problem for my bootcamp partition or a regular windows laptop when a friend comes over?

Setup 2: While I'm at it, I'm wondering if I should go through the trouble as my brother currently uses a basic ZyXEL router his ISP provided him. Same setup here really (peripherals connected-wise). Does it work as a normal modem?

Also how far does the range of an Airport Express extend (and go through walls)? My dorm room isn't too big so I hope there shouldn't be too many signal/quality loss since I'd be about 1-5 meters away from it.

Thanks all :)!

2. joshysquashy macrumors 6502a

The Airport Express can either create a new network or join an existing one. It doesn't contain a modem, so if you are creating a network, you need to plug it in via ethernet (I think this is what you have anyway).

It can be password protected if you set it up correct. Either WEP or WPA.

It has a great range and will easily do what you want.

The benefits of an Express is wireless music (via the stereo jack plug) and wireless printing (USB socket) as well as wireless internet. These features will work whether it joins a network or creates it.

I used it in halls and it was great. Technically we weren't supposed to create a wireless network from the ethernet ports, but did I care?

Enjoy Uni!

3. ShiryuX thread starter macrumors member

ShiryuX

Hey, thanks for the fast reply!

To give an idea of what I'll be using (I saw it briefly, and received just the name of what I'll be using) it's this...

http://www.consumer.philips.com/con...ONSUMER/Powerline-Ethernet-adapter+SYK5600-00

So apparently it looks a bit like an Airport express itself, although a cable comes out of it which the owner said "you plug it in your laptop and you have internet!"

Basically if I plug that in the Airport Express first, it'll send out a signal? Or am I completely wrong here?

Also does this mean that the modem+router my brother uses can't be replaced by the Airport Express I guess?

4. ShiryuX thread starter macrumors member

ShiryuX

Slightly curious though..

If I keep the router of my brother (which has a modem), it's plugged into the DSL cable and sends out a signal. How do I set up the Airport Express? Haven't found a good guide for this. Do I just plug it into the socket or something? How to configure it then?

Also, still not sure about the powerline philips : is there an opening to put that DSL(Ethernet?) cable into the Airport for it to send out a signal or what?
    Again, how do I configure this?

(And it'd be great to know how Airtunes works or a guide, wireless connecting to speakers? Completely off here...)

Both my brother and I are confused about this... Help would be appreciatred. :)