Airport Express - will this work?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by whsbuss, Dec 2, 2010.

1. whsbuss macrumors 68040

whsbuss

I want to use an Airport Express to provide extended wireless coverage, without using WDS. I know the AE supports ethernet bridging (proxySTA).

Setup:
    - have main wireless router connected to cable modem for internet, and 2 PCs.
    - have additional wireless router to be used as AP

Is this possible:
    - install AE set for proxySTA to join main wireless router network in different room, but within range of main wireless router.
    - connect 2nd wireless router to AE via ethernet, having IP address within the same subnet as main router but outside DHCP address from the main router.
    - set same SSID, WPA2 password, and disable DHCP on 2nd wireless router

SO, is the possible?

2. ukwildcat macrumors 6502

I don't see why it wouldn't work, but I think in the end you would have to try it to find out. I can't recall anyone that has tried this specific set up. Best of luck.

3. waw74 macrumors 68030

the only problem i see with that, is what's to keep the "receiver" express from connecting to the "transmitter" of the pair instead of the main base? you might have to go with separate SSIDs for your main and "remote" network.
    Or, you May be able to block the MAC address of the receiver on the transmitter.

I've used both portions of this, but never together. i've got an express set up as a second base station that's wired to the main network, and (as a test) had the express join the network, and then access the network via ethernet. but never at the same time, as the test was using the same unit.

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

5. whsbuss thread starter macrumors 68040

whsbuss

Thanks for the responses. JUst to let you know its working perfectly. The key to keeping the airport express connected to the main router is to disable the 2nd router radio till the connection is done.