Airport Express & Windows without wireless card

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by joeyip87, Jun 7, 2008.

1. joeyip87 macrumors newbie

So, quite a simple question - I want to connect my Windows desktop to my wireless network.

This is what I have:
    - Intel iMac and PowerBook G4 (pushing its 5th year!)
    - Windows XP without wireless card
    - Airport Extreme (the one without Time Capsule)
    - Airport Express (which is already configured as a part of the AE's network)

So this is what I have. Both macs are good and easy to set up and have been working fine with my AE and AX. I have an external HD and a printer plugged into my AE. AX used to have speakers, but now in storage.

I plugged an ethernet cable from my Windows machine to the AX, but I just can't access the printer or the external HD from my PC.

Please help, because I don't want to get a 20ft ethernet cable to plug the PC into my AE across my room (which also defeats the purpose of having an AX). I do have a Cat. 6 cable too if that helps.

Thanks.

2. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

So, you're Windows PC is on the network via AX, but you can't access the printer and HDD connected to your Mac? I was pretty sure those options were integrated into Airport utility. Try giving Apple a call. They helped me setup my AX to my network flawlessly. 1800-MY-APPLE

3. joeyip87 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well the bigger problem is that I do not have a wireless card on my PC. And after plugging in the ethernet cable the Local Area Connection is still disconnected, only the 1394 Connection is connected. I opened up Airport Express Firmware, it asks for an IP address. Well. I don't have one because 1394 Connection doesn't have one, and my Local Area Connection is not connected.

I guess the even bigger question here is how to get my PC to connect to my AX through ethernet, and so that way I can use the AX to connect my PC wirelessly to other networks.

4. wildbill macrumors newbie

Something sounds wrong, because mine was as simple as connecting an ethernet cord from my Windows box into the port on the Express. I know this sounds obvious, but make sure your ethernet network connection has not been disabled on the windows box (it doesn't sound like it has been in your case). If that doesn't work, I might try a hard reset on the Express and start from scratch.

Like I said it should basically be plug and play.

5. waw74 macrumors 68030

So basically you are trying to use the express as a wireless card for your windows machine?

I don't think that will work. I just did an experiment here, and no love. I've always heard that it wouldn't work, but i thought I would try just to make sure.

It appears that if you have the express join a wireless network, the ethernet port is disabled.

You can get a G wireless card for under $20 online, although N gets a bit more pricey.