airport express wireless bridge?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by armenakadino, May 14, 2009.

1. armenakadino macrumors member

I have a few questions about using a airport express as a wireless bridge to my tv room.

1. I want to use my airport express as a wireless bridge with my att 2wire router. Would there be any issues or would that work

2. I need to have 3 enthernet ports but the airport has one would i be able to hook up the airport express to a switch to get the extra 2 ports.

3. Would I be able to do the wireless bridge and stream music at the same time.

The att 2wire is the modem the airport would be the bridge in the tv room and would be hooked up to a xbox 360, slingbox pro hd, and a directv hd dvr

2. armenakadino thread starter macrumors member

3. rkdiddy macrumors 65816

rkdiddy

Funny I was just looking at this, because I would like to put my AES up in my office and use my AE as a bridge.

Basically what I found out is you can't use it a bridge AND stream music.

It has something called "client" mode which allows it to act as a USB print server and stream music OR another mode where it acts as a bridge. You can't have it both ways.

Bummer :mad:

4. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Not true. I have an Express set up in client mode where I use it to provide wireless N to a computer without wireless (connectd via ethernet) AND print server AND I can stream music to it. If I wanted to provide wireless access to more than one device I could put a switch in there too. (Edit: and airtunes should also work if the Express is set up as a WDS extender - http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1515?viewlocale=en_US)

To the OP - you can use the Express just as you've described, set up in ProxySTA mode.

5. theLimit macrumors 6502a

theLimit

In my old house, I had an AirPort Extreme set up on the ground floor and an AirPort Express on the second floor working as a wireless extender and an ethernet bridge. I hooked up a hub to connect an Xbox 360, an ethernet printer, and a Windows PC. I could stream music from iTunes on my MacBook Pro with no problems. I don't know anything about the att router, but everything else should work fine.

6. rkdiddy macrumors 65816

rkdiddy

If that will work that would be AWESOME. I was just posting what I read on Apple's site.

I will have to try it tonight on my slingbox to see if it works.

7. armenakadino thread starter macrumors member

Thats awesome if all this works my cousin upgraded from a airport express to extreme and is going to give me her airport express

8. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

I can confirm that it works as an extender and a bridge. I used to have one set up like that - not only would it extend the network into the downstairs portion of my house, but i ran ethernet from it to my tivo / slingbox.

9. j2048b macrumors 6502a

how do you set up an AE as a wireless extender and a wireless bridge?

do you have to have it hard wired to the AEBS in a different location and enable the wireless on it?

a bit lost?

10. hwojtek macrumors 6502a

hwojtek

In Airport Utility/Wireless -> Wireless mode.
    There you can:
    - create a WiFi network (not applicable)
    - join a WiFi network (not applicable)
    - participate in a WDS network (not applicable)
    - extend a WiFi network (you guessed it - this one extends the existing network).