AirPort Express, wireless network and a PC

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by 0eyvind, Jan 4, 2010.

1. 0eyvind macrumors member

Hello.

I'm considering buying the AirPort Express.
    I got a wireless router, which is connected wired to my PC Desktop and wirelessly to my MBP.

• How should I set up my AirPort Express, in order to use AirTunes and a shared printer on my PC and MBP, and the rest of the house?
    • I share the former network with my family. Would it be possible to add an external harddrive to the AirPort Express, so only I could acces it?

Thank you in advance.
    0eyvind,

2. skorpien macrumors 68020

I can't provide specific details as I have no practical experience with your setup, but you would need to make the Express join your current wireless network in AirPort Utility. This sets it up as a wireless device and should allow you to set up AirTunes and share a printer.

As for your hard drive question, the Express cannot share a USB HDD. The USB port is for printers only. You may be able to set the Express to allow a wired client to connect via its Ethernet port (again, unsure of the specifics) and connect a NAS to your network through that port however. Then you could set up securities according to the NAS so that only you could access it.

3. mmomega macrumors demi-god

mmomega

This is actually fairly easy to do.
    I have a similar setup as well, an Airport extreme base station and an Aiport express used to extend the network w/ my xbox360 connected to the express.

I can go into more detail once i get home and can see the settings but it is basically install the airport utility program to access the express, add the express to your current network ( there is a box to find in range networks, enter your network info) and a drop down box w/ an option to extend the network. That's basically it.

I then took the express plugged it up in my tv room, xbox360-->express via ethernet and that was it. Everything worked right away.
    Under iTunes it then showed up with the option to play music on my current computer or to the express if I wanted to use it that way, which I haven't yet.

4. 0eyvind thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the fast and infomative answers.
    This is gonna help me deciding wether to get it or not.
    Cheers
    0eyvind,