airport express with airport extreme?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by quigleybc, Jul 3, 2008.

1. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    hi

So, i have a wireless set up using my airport extreme.

I just bought a nice stereo for my living room.

I would like to use an airport express, just for the airtunes feature.

So, I borrowed a friends airport express, and I used an ethernet wire to plug it into my aiport extreme....is that right?

the express just blinked orange, and the airport utility never recognized it.

so, I gave up.

How would I go about setting up airtunes with an airport express running through an airport extreme....phew..

thanks

2. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    Nope, you need to hook the Airport Express to the stereo itself, then let it join your original network... :)

3. liquidh2o macrumors 6502

You can do it wirelessly or wired. My preference would be wireless

Chances are you'll have to reset the airport express before using the airport utility to wipe all the previous settings off.

was going to type out the process, but it seems apple has a support doc (wireless WDS) for it

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107454

hope that helps :)

4. gwerhart0800 macrumors 6502

Slightly different question ...

I want to upgrade my home wireless network to "n" and I am considering going with Apple stuff. My question is about using an Airport express as a network extender. Currently, my network drop from my wireless ISP is in the basement connected to an SMC Barracade (very old) wired router, and a LinkSys WAP54G with modded firmware. The SMC router also connects to an Xbox 360. In my office, I have a Buffalo AirStation that is connected to a laptop, a mac mini, a motion computing tablet and an HP Color Jet 2600. What I want to do is replace the SMC router/Linksys WAP with an Airport extreme and the Buffalo Airstation with an Airport express hooked to an ethernet switch.

I looked at the Airstation express docs (from the link posted in this thread), but I don't see details on using it as a network extender to a wired lan segment.

My reason for wanting things on a wired lan segment is that I do some very intensive data sharing between things on that segment and the performance under a wired lan has always been way better than doing it wirelessly. In the case of the Mac Mini, there is no easy "N" option.

So, does anyone know if it will function that way?

EDIT: I did some more Googling and discovered that the "proper name" for this is ProxySTA. Apparently, the latest firmware (7.3.1) for the Express supports this even though the documentation does not reveal this fact.

5. quigleybc thread starter macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    Hey

thanks for the reply's guys!!

i'll try it out the next time i can use my friends APex