Airport Express With AirTunes?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by scb02, May 9, 2008.

1. scb02 macrumors regular

Not entirley sure how this works to be honest so i will explain my set-up and what i want it to do and if it can do that.

Ok in mine and my dads office is a windows based PC for himself to use, and we have an imac in there which i mainly use myself, these are both plug into a switch via ethernet cable which goes 5 metres up a wall to a rack mouth were i have a switch, connected to the switch is a or will be should i say a Time Capsulel which i will use as another server for back-ups only and will use it as my wireless router for my Macbook in my bedroom, and my sister will use for her windows laptop around the house, now i have a 7.1 surround sound in my bedroom, with a mac mini (also conected wirelessly) the mac mini is for nothing but web browsing on my projector.

So mainly the question is, if i buy an airport extreme with airtunes, plug it into the mains in my bedroom, and add it to my time capsule as an extender as such so mit will improove the wireless in my bedroom, and if i run an audio cable from that to the amplifier, i can access my itunes libary and play over my surround sound?

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Your question seems very confused. I can't really follow what you are trying to do or what will be plugged in where but the simplest answer I can give is that the only airport device that supports Airtunes in the Airport Express. You cannot plug speakers into an Airport Extreme base station or a Time Capsule.

3. scb02 thread starter macrumors regular

Ok sorry for my confusion bassicaly can i stream iTunes music from my imac in my office to my speaker set-up in my bedroom?

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

If the speakers are connected to an Airport Express then yes. Otherwise no (*)

(*) Unless you have a Mac in the bedroom connected to the speakers running Airfoil Speakers and have Airfoil running on the iMac.

5. scb02 thread starter macrumors regular

i have a macbook in the bedroom but dont store music on that, so be using that to transfer to bedroom

Secondly can the airport express boost my connection for my macbook in my bedroom?

6. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

You don't need to. Airfoil and Airfoil Speakers combined allow you to use another Mac a bit like Airtunes: you play the music on the iMac and it comes out speakers attached to the MacBook.

7. scb02 thread starter macrumors regular

Nice one mate cheers, thanks for the help much appreciated!!

up your way from Blackpool to London tommorow, watching brother play rugby at twickenham! Should be a good laugh and shopping Sunday and taking my macbook back to the Apple store :( if i send it and it takes a while to fix will they ship it back to me?