Airport Express with and without Airplay

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gapperonduty, Dec 17, 2010.

1. gapperonduty macrumors 6502

Hi all-

I am thinking of getting my parents the airport express to use with my mom's iphone 4 (4.1) to let them enjoy some music while cooking in the kitchen and lounging in the living room!

However, i have a few questions i hope someone could help out

1)Is it true that Airport Express on iphone 4 4.1 without Airplay will only stream from Itunes and not from app such as pandora and grooveshark?
    Hence, only with 4.2 Airplay will i be able to stream from other app besides Itunes!?

I would love to keep my mom's phone on 4.1 so when i get home i could jailbreak and get her a grooveshark subscription too so she could listen to anything she likes (she is outside of US so there's no other music streaming option).

Thanks in advance for any input, and if anyone could chime in on how to get Pandora/MOG to work outside of US (with a valid subscription ofcourse), that's great too!

2. gapperonduty thread starter macrumors 6502

no advice from anyone regarding the use of airport express with 4.1 without airplay and the inability to stream from pandora?

just awould like a confirmation that pandora streaming is not possible with airport express on 4.1, and it would require the new airplay feature from 4.2..

and if there is a way around it for use with 4.1.

THanx a million!

3. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

Use must upgrade to 4.2 to use AirPlay on an iOS device.

I am not certain, but I do believe that the app developers have to update their app with AirPlay. I would assume Pandora has already or is planning to.