airport express with external hard drive?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Cinch, Dec 20, 2008.

1. Cinch macrumors 6502

Can I plug an external hard drive or thumb drive into the airport express USB port and have my MacBook recognize and use it?

Thanks

Cinch

2. rick3000 macrumors 6502a

rick3000

Right know you can only use the Express with a USB printer. It will not recognize a hard drive. Their could be a fireware update in the future to make it possible but I wouldn't count on it. The Airport Extreme supports a USB hub and you can connect a printer and HD.

3. Cinch thread starter macrumors 6502

simple setup

@ rick3000

I was hoping to plug in a 32GB thumb drive and use that as my back up for music/movies and photos or a 250 GB Toshiba USB 2.0 to do the same in the future.

Apple intentionally crippling airport express?

Cinch

4. dylanbrown macrumors 6502

I feel that Apple brands it's AirPort Express as a device that cvan extend your wireless network of another AirPort device, serve your tunes to your stereo and act as a sort-of homeplug.

AirDisk is a feature in the AEBS and Time Capsule, which allows you to connect a USB mass storage device, like a thumb drive or hard drive and share it over your network. It also allows you to us that USB mass storage device as a Time Machine back-up destination.

Hope this helps...

5. skorpien macrumors 68020

It won't be fixed with a firmware update. As far as I know, the USB controller in the express isn't capable of sharing a USB HDD or thumb drive. Apple isn't intentionally crippling anything, it's just a feature of the Express. If you need that extra functionality, then consider upgrading to an Extreme or a Time Capsule.

Edit: If it was capable, I'm sure there would have been a hack released to enable the functionality, as was the case with the Extreme's Time Machine capabilities before Apple enabled it themselves.

6. juanir36 macrumors newbie

Hope there was a hack... Something like dd-wrt will be sweet!