Airport Express with external WIFI

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by johnny88, Jul 5, 2007.

1. johnny88 macrumors newbie

Hello,

I had Airport Express set up in my apartment...no problems, worked great. I had my internet cable directly into AE, and my stereo tuner directly into AE. I could surf and play tunes wirelessly with my powerbook all over my apartment...great fun!

Now....moved into a new apartment (in a house) where my landlord has a wireless rounter in her house for her computer, and it is included with my rent. Cool! BUT...how do I set my AE up to have airtunes, and the internet? I plugged in my AE into a power source, and attached my tuner cables. What I get in internet connect is the wifi from my landlord ("henry"), and another connection for my airtunes ("a number/letter combonation"). So I have to switch it back and forth in Internet Connect to either surf OR play airtunes seperately. So, I assume my AE is not picking up her wifi at all, and the powerbook's airport is picking up her connection directly (henry), and my AE stereo connection seperatly (number/letter combination).

How do I set thi AE up to my previous apartments setup, even though I don't have a direct internet connection going into AE, but instead picking up my landlords connection wirelessly?

make any sense? LOL!

thanks!

2. russell.h macrumors regular

Do you know what router your landlord has?

If it is compatible you should be able to set up your Airport Express an extension of her existing network, and you would be able to access the internet and airtunes any time you are in range of either her router or the airport express (or both). Of course I don't actually own one, thats just based on what I've read.

3. makismagoo99 macrumors regular

makismagoo99

I have a question similar to that. My girlfriend and I just moved in together. She has a Linksys wireless G router that we are using right now, but I want to get an Airport Extreme for the Wireless N capability and USB port.

Now, I know that the Airport will drop the connection speed to match the slowest connection. My girlfriend's laptop is only G compatible.

Can I set up the routers so that my laptop will connect thru the Airport Extreme and my girlfriend's laptop will use the G connection, thereby preserving my N conncection speed?

Hope that makes sense.....

4. russell.h macrumors regular

Plug the uplink port on one router into one of the ethernet ports on the other router. That should get internet to both. If you want computers connected to one to be able to see computers connected to the other as belonging to the same local network then I think you should be able to accomplish this by disabling DHCP on the "lower" router (the one whose uplink is plugged into the ethernet port of the "upper" router).

Or at least thats what I'm planning to do this weekend when I get my airport extreme base station.

Edit: Obviously the "upper" router needs to have its uplink plugged into the internet or theres no way you're going to get internet to either...

5. johnny88 thread starter macrumors newbie

How do I set up AE as an extension of her router? I think that's my problem, because right now my powerbook's airport picks up her connection (henry) and my Airport Express stereo connection seperately.

6. johnny88 thread starter macrumors newbie

bump

no help....maybe I will just have to get my own connection directly into the AE

7. sfisher macrumors regular

Connect to the network that your AirPort Express is broadcasting and run the configuration utility to change its configuration to client mode. Check the apple.com site for the manual if you have trouble doing this (I don't have one so I can't tell you exactly how to do it). This will allow it to join her network and offer its music streaming functionality to anyone on her/your network.

8. Usmc1968 macrumors newbie

Airport Express N and other questions

Hello-

This is my first post. Background: I live in the boonies and the only way I can get high speed is with my Verizon EVDO (Kyocera KPC650) card. I have it connected to my PowerBook G4 (soon to upgrade) and share the connection via Built in Airport. Question: Can I use several Airport Express "pods" to extend my network like a "daisy chain" sever hundred feet? Does Apple make an AE that is N compatible?
    Since I am getting my network connection directly into my PC via EVDO what advantages would I get if I purchased an Airport Extreme base station?
    Thanks for reading my ramblings

Semper Fi