Airport Express with Network Hub ?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by cudafish, Jul 13, 2012.

1. cudafish macrumors member

Is it possible to connect a network hub to an Airport Express and also use Airport Express as a wireless connection?

Hard time finding info

Thanks

2. Lance-AR macrumors 6502

Yes. The Ethernet ports on the back are regular layer 2 ports and can participate on a network normally.

3. cudafish thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the reply. I read on Apple site this can be done. Not clear on settings. Right now I have the wireless working fine. I have cat5 out of Ethernet LAN port to network hub but nothing coming out of hub. No internet connection to hard wired devices. If I remove cat5 from hub and connect to my Macbook Pro I have an internet connection. Very sketchy information out there about settings.

4. cudafish thread starter macrumors member

Just an update. The Ethernet port on the Express connected to my hub extender would not hold a connection. I had to power down express then power down my hub, power up both and my Ethernet connections were visible and functional. After a few minutes my connection would drop out. Tried a new hub same problem. I spoke with Apple support I was told that connecting the Express to a Ethernet hub for extra wired connections would work fine. The only way to fix my problem was to return the Airport Express which may have been defective. Not wanting to take a chance I purchased a Cisco router installed and all in fine.

5. terzinator macrumors 6502

I attached a little 5-port ethernet hub to my AX ethernet port, and it starts blinking yellow/green -- and Airport Utility says it's reporting problems.

But the connection through the hub seems to work just fine. (I mean, I can connect a computer/wii/Internet TV into it, and it connects no problem.)

Not sure why it thinks it's throwing an error.

6. cudafish thread starter macrumors member

I replaced a Belkin router with a hub connected to it. The router worked fine for 4 years. One day the wifi stopped working on the router. I bought the Ax installed it setup was a breeze the wifi worked fine. My wired connections would not stay connected. Wasted hours with settings, hubs. Finally I returned the Ax installed a Cisco router and all is fine. Wifi and wired.
    Good luck.