Airport Express with non-apple router

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by PeteMD, Jun 26, 2015.

1. PeteMD macrumors newbie

I've searched online and unfortunately found many different recommendations and most of them are dated 2008. I have Verizon FiOS in the house and I'm using their wireless router. The network does not reach my bedroom. I have an Airport Express (the generation that plugs directly into the wall) and want to use that to extend my wireless network. I see that since my router does not support WDS, if I use an ethernet cable I can connect the Airport Express to the network and have it broadcast wireless signal to extend the network. Fortunately the house is prewired with ethernet. Can someone please give me step-by-step instructions on how to set this up for someone like me who's computer savvy, but not network savvy? I don't want to create a duplicate network because then if my computer is connected wirelessly to FiOS and my iPhone is on the AE in the bedroom, I won't be able to stream movies from my computer since they're on different networks. Thanks in advance.

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

@PeteMD Yes. You would simply put the AirPort into bridge mode and use identical wireless settings as the Verizon router. Alternatively, if networking goes over your head I can give you a hand over TeamViewer if necessary.