Airport express with non-apple router

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by mbpnewbie, Jul 20, 2009.

1. mbpnewbie macrumors regular

This may be a novice question, and I feel really dumb asking it, having been "into" computers for over half my life; However I digress. Will an aiport express work with my router that came with the internet service I have? Or will it only work with an airport extreme base station?

2. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

What do you want to use it for? To extend your wireless network, or to add wireless to other non-wireless-equipped devices, or just for AirTunes?

If the second or third options, it'll work fine.

Edit: Just to clarify, with the second and third options I mentioned above, the AE acts as a simple wireless client to whatever router is providing the access point. Extending a network (WDS) to non-Apple routers is not supported - http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1515?viewlocale=en_US

3. DotCom2 macrumors 68030

That's not a dumb question. I would like to know that too.
    And specifically, what is the brand name of such routers it will work with if so.

4. mbpnewbie thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, I wanted to hook it up to a set of speakers in the other room for wireless itunes. Thank you for your help..

5. spacepower7 macrumors 68000

Unsupported

Apple may say that it is unsupported, but that doesn't mean that it is not possible.

I set-up an Apple Airport Express as a relay (signal booster) for a Buffalo Tech Wireless G router. I had it working fine for 3 years. I don't recall for certain, but I think I tested out the audio and it worked.

I found out how to do it on the xlr8yourmac ? or another website.

I recall it had some to do with setting the SSID's to be the same.

I'm pretty sure that it requires the other brand router to support WDS.

Let me know if you want more info.

6. atljogger macrumors member

Does using Airport Express to extend your wireless network reduce internet speed? Like mbpnewbie, I use a 3rd party wireless router and want to extend my signal. Unfortunately my DSL is already slow (1.5mbps), so was curious if using AE will make this even slower.

7. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

If your "other" router supports WDS, you can easily set up the Airport Express to join your WDS network!

8. spacepower7 macrumors 68000

I didn't notice any slowdown. Before I added the Airport Express, my PowerMac G4 could get on the network with the original Buffalo Tech router. I usually got full speed cable ~ 5 mbps. I never noticed a slowdown, maybe alittle speed up because after adding the Airport Express, my PowerMac G4 had full bars instead of 2 or 3.

I added the Airport Express because my Aluminum PowerBook G4 couldn't get a single bar (not able to connect whatsoever) in the room that the PowerMac was getting 2-3 bars.

What make and model of 3rd party router are you using?

9. quantum003 macrumors 6502a

quantum003

You know, I'm working on this exact same issue right now. This is definitely the article you're going to want to check out. Even if you don't have a linksys wireless router you're trying to configure the AE to work with, I think the instructions are very clear and helpful.

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20060609053254368