Airport Express with Sky Netgear

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mediamab, Nov 4, 2008.

1. mediamab macrumors member

Hiya Guys,

Im lookign at buying airport express with airtunes.. I just wanted to check though if my plan will work - i was basically planning on disabling the wireless on my sky netgear router and then connecting the airport to the router via ethernet - woudl this then work fine to shar air tunes, a printer and my 2 macs and one pc? also will the express cover the range of a small 2 bed flat?

is the quality of music affected with the air tunes? as i plan on hooking it up to a pretty decent hifi?

Cheers

2. mediamab thread starter macrumors member

3. millar876 macrumors 6502a

millar876

Sounds similar to my set up at the mo, and it should work. I have my AEBS (11n) plugged into my BT Homehub, and my PS3and 360 plugged into that and broadcasting a Pure 11n network (5GHz) I also have an 11g (dome shaped gigabit ethernet & 59k modem) base station hooked into that broadcasting an 11b/g network for my Wii, iPhone, Mac Mini and iMac G3 to pick up. My CD iMac (in sig) is connected via ethernet to an Airport Express whish Joins the 5GHz 11n network.

All my macs can share files and use remote desktop, the only reason I use 11n 5GHz is for streaming Video to the PS3 and 360 to watch on my big a$$ sony HDTV. The 2.4GHz a/b/g/n mode is fine for SD Divx files (350MB for arround 40 mins) but High bit rate SD or HD Stuttered realy badly on it, so, 5GHz and all is fine

4. mediamab thread starter macrumors member

glad it sounds like it should work -

little simpler than yours tho - mine will simply be.. netgear connecting to internet - wireless disabled - pc connected to this via ethernet.. and airport express connected to it via ethernet .. then two mac laptops using the wireless airport ... thatll be fine wont it? and the pc and two mac will be able to make use of airtunes and the shared printer off the airport?

hows sound quality affected with airtunes? i assume as gud as a direct cable - im spending about 400 on an amp and speakers so dnt wna waster that quality...