Airport Express without net connection?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by tut21, Jul 9, 2009.

1. tut21 macrumors newbie

Dumb question. I'm having trouble understanding something simple.

I'd like to use my MacBook in a room with no internet access of any kind and control iTunes on it by using the iPhone Remote app. Would an Airport Express peripheral create a wifi network that would let the iPhone talk to the MacBook? Or would the MacBook need to have some kind of internet connection first?

2. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

No internet connection is needed to create a network.

3. waw74 macrumors 68030

if you just want to hook the computer directly to the stereo, you don't even need the express, just "create a network" from the macbook, and join that network from the iphone

if you want to have the audio come out of the express, so the computer doesn't have to be wired to the stereo, then you can get an express, have that create the network, and have the macbook and iphone join that network.

4. tut21 thread starter macrumors newbie

Can you point me to that "create a network" option on the MacBook? I haven't found it yet and I'm not sure where to look.

5. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

It is located on the top menu bar by clicking the wireless icon and choosing "create wireless network"

6. tut21 thread starter macrumors newbie

Doh. I was rifling through System Preferences.

I'll give it a shot, thanks.

7. tut21 thread starter macrumors newbie

That works great. Thanks a bunch. Remote can be a bit flaky and it loses the network occasionally but fiddling with it helps restore the connection.

Anyone know what the effective range of an iPhone/MacBook Pro network is?