Airport Express Woes.. (Audio streaming from mac not working?)

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by wrinkster22, Feb 17, 2012.

1. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

For the first time in 6 months I am able to stream audio to my airport express. (Although I needed to sacrifice spotlight, bluetooth, etc.)
    So anyway, I am unable to view my airport express on airport utility, or rename it. It does not do anything and I cant see it. Also the light on the airport express is amber?

-Airport Express not Showing up airport utility (I CAN stream audio through my iPod)
    -I can stream audio from my iPod but iTunes does not see the express (makes sense, seeing as Airport Utility cant see it even)
    -I cant rename it (If I could find it in Airport utility i could probably fix this)

How can I fix these issues? Many thanks.

2. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

Sounds like you need to try and reset the Express. To do so, hold down the reset button with a pen or paperclip on the bottom for about 7-10 seconds. The light should flash when the reset has begun. At that point, you can remove the pen/clip and let it do its thing. Once it's been reset, open AirPort Utility and you should be able to see it this time.

FYI - If you are using your Express for AirPlay only, join the Express to your WiFi network instead of extending it. This will make for a much smoother AirPlay experience.

3. itickings macrumors 6502a

itickings

My first guess would be that you're not actually on the same network, but it is impossible to say without more information.

What does your setup look like, how is everything connected? Which devices are connected to each other, what is wired and what is wireless?

The Express should show up in AirPort Utility if you connect your computer directly to the Express via an ethernet cable. There is also AirPort Utility for iOS that might be of use if your devices are recent enough.

4. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

This isn't necessary. My wireless Express is in my garage and AP Utility can see it just fine. It doesn't have to be wired.

5. wrinkster22 thread starter macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

I have a macbook air

I will try this if I can get the piece of garbage to work

Much appreciated thanks :)
    It is not showing up in airport utility (By the way, the new airport Utility SUCKS!)

Edit: Still works from my iPod touch (4th generation)
    it is NOT visible in iTunes/remote app/airport utility

6. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

From Apple:

If the AirPort Base Station or Time Capsule isn't accessible from AirPort Utility, the Factory Default reset can be accomplished by using the reset button.

1. Unplug the AirPort Base Station or Time Capsule from power.

2. Press and hold the reset button with a pen or pencil, then plug the AirPort Base Station or Time Capsule back in while continuing to hold the button until you see the light (LED) flash rapidly. This should happen after a few seconds.

3. Release the button. This will factory default reset the AirPort Base Station or Time Capsule.

7. itickings macrumors 6502a

itickings

No, of course it doesn't have to be wired provided that everything is correctly configured and the Express is on the same network. In this case the Express evidently won't show up, no matter how nice your wireless garage is, hence my suggestion to try the wired way.

I usually prefer to find the problem instead of just blindly resetting everything and hope for the best. If I had a dime for every time someone is convinced that everything is on the same network when it actually isn't... :D

8. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

Ahh, I hear that. I definitely see what you mean. If it's not on the same network, making it wired forces it to be.

9. wrinkster22 thread starter macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

Arghh it is still not working...

10. itickings macrumors 6502a

itickings

Is it still working for the iPod? If so, it doesn't sound like it was actually reset.

If the reset worked the Express should have created a new wireless network to allow configuration. Go to your computer's wireless settings and join that new wireless network before running AirPort Utility.

11. wrinkster22 thread starter macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

I am so upset...
    Even though I did two resets it still streams from my iPod- even when it is not connected to wifi.

How can I get it to show up in iTunes & Airport Utility?

I can not thank you enough for all of your help..

(Mini Rant: You know what? I am a little sick of all the "just work" getting preached. I got my first mac/other apple products this year and have had so many issues.. Everything from broken home buttons, machines arriving damaged, an airport extreme with laughable performance, with reluctance to help)

----------

Update:
    It showed up in Airport Utility
    I went through the setup menu
    ----> it spent 5 minutes "waiting"
    -------------> then an "error occurred" (I know this is not your fault, but I am not investing this kind of money into the apple ecosystem for "errors" to occur")

Once again, thanks a million

12. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

I hate to say it, but "this". If it was properly reset, your iPod wouldn't be able to AirPlay to it until it was fully setup. After reset, you can go into your WiFi settings on your iPod/Air and you should see a AirPort Wifi network with AirPortXXXXXX with "X" being the last 6 digits of the MAC address. This will confirm it has been reset.

What was the error?

Also here's Apple's Support page on it. It may help.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3728

13. wrinkster22 thread starter macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

I keep getting errors :(

(So much for it just works eh?)

14. wrinkster22 thread starter macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

It sort of works. The audio cuts out every 5 seconds and goes back for another 5 seconds a minute later. Does not even show up on my iPod.
    Yep another great product...

15. ea9 macrumors regular

Seriously man take it easy. Maybe you have a defective product or maybe you don't know how to set it up.

I've done countless applications at friends/family members and it always worked. Sometimes I needed a full reset to get it running for the first time. I must have setup at least 10 airport express' and they all run smoothly. Airport utility is pretty damn good in my opinion, so easy for a non techie to use.

16. wrinkster22 thread starter macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

Sorry. I am just really fed up for several reasons (most dont have to do with this) and I am just getting mad at the littlest things- overworked much.
    What information would I need to provide you to, for you to help me get this thing running?

17. ea9 macrumors regular

How about you start from the beginning.

Modem > Router (What router) > to airport express ?

Before you do all of this, try to unplug your router for 5 mins.

1- Make sure you did a correct reset on the AE. Hold the reset with a pin down for a little while. Better even, unplug, hold the reset replug while still holding the reset for 10+ seconds, just to be sure.

2- go on your laptop where the utility is installed. Disconnect (forget network) from your routers wireless network. you should see the airport express as an available wireless network. connect to it.

3- open airport utility, you should see it. Once you do, you can to set it up as "Connect to my wireless network" you'll see your original network put in the password, save. It will reboot, if all went well, you connect to your original network, run the airport utility and it should be there. you will also see the airplay option bottom right of iTunes.

Hope this helps.

18. wrinkster22 thread starter macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

Thanks so much.

If I unplug the router will I neet to do something for it to work again?

19. ea9 macrumors regular

nope. unplug away.