Airport Express woes

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by RollTide, May 12, 2007.

1. RollTide macrumors 6502

RollTide

So my fiancee bought me amn airport express, and I went about setting it up last night. Everything as great, easy setup and airtunes worked right off the bat. The I opened safari, and just a white screen appeared.

Up by the airport signal thing, I had full signal, but there was a few words running right next to it. I said "Looking for ppoe host". Well first I thought that maybe I entered my isp password wrong, so I did a restart on the airport, and started over. Used the other possible password, and I realized that the first pw was the right one. soooooo.

I restarted again, knowing for a fact what my password is, but this time the airport freaked out and would never stop blinking. I called apple and the guy could not figure it out, so they are sending me a brand new one, not a refurb like I had.

My main question is, was there something wrong with my modem the first time? Was the airport just faulty hardware like the tech said? (but airtunes worked until the lights freaked out) anyway I was just curious if anyone has had similar experiences, sorry for such a long post.

Thanks guys.

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

First question: Does your connection in fact use PPPoE?

3. RollTide thread starter macrumors 6502

RollTide

umm well I don't really know what that is :)o ) but I chose it, and it allowed me to fill in all the info, so I figured it was correct. was I wrong? I'm very new to wireless stuff.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

It's difficult to say what's going on without knowing more about your network setup. Personally, I have an ADSL modem that stores my PPPoE information and my Express simply connects directly to it via an ethernet cable. Taking the Express out of the equation, how would you normally connect to the internet?

The internet pane of the Express setup should probably match the internet pane of your computer's hardwired connection.

5. RollTide thread starter macrumors 6502

RollTide

I have belsouth DSL with a westell modem (if that helps) and I just plug my ethernet cable into my core duo imac. I currently am the only computer on the network.

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, I don't think you need PPPoE on the Express. At a guess, you should connect via DHCP and then pretty much leave the rest of the settings alone at their defaults.

7. RollTide thread starter macrumors 6502

RollTide

Alright, well when I get my new airport, I'll make sure that I look good for that option. I just don't remember seeing that option right now (although I'm sure it was there). All else faile, just reset it and try again, just hope not to break it this time.

Thanks guys I appreciate your time, and will keep y'all updated.

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

No worries mate. Post back when it arrives and we might be able to walk you through the process. It's nice and easy. :)

9. RollTide thread starter macrumors 6502

RollTide

Thanks I appreciate it, hopefully wednesday I will get it.
    Thanks guys.

10. RollTide thread starter macrumors 6502

RollTide

11. RollTide thread starter macrumors 6502

RollTide

alright guys, I need your help. The airport is up and running, but still no connection because it says pppoe host... by airport thing. Airtunes works, and all the lights on my dsl modem are on. When I try to go to a website the page is just white. I appreciate any help I can get guys. I know that you said I probably don't need pppoe, but I connect to a modem over ethernet ( sry I'm so newbish at this)

12. RollTide thread starter macrumors 6502

RollTide

WooHoo it works, what a wonderfully stupid moment, what a wonderful little thing.

13. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Haha! Good work mate. Did you end up using PPPoE?

14. dirtleg macrumors member

This looks like a good place to ask about Airport Express.

I got a new unit yesterday. I am connecting through ATT dsl, using the provided router hard wired to my iMac with ethernet cable. I ran the cable from the router to the airport express, plugged it in, and I get a blinking amber light.

Connection works from router to iMac direct through cable, no problem. Why is my airport not getting anything when I run through it?

Ideas?

15. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

In AirPort Admin Utility, make sure the Internet pane is identical to the Network pane in System Preferences, under the Ethernet tab. :)